Ask a Better Question, Get a Better Answer

Hi Ajit. First welcome to the forums.

You’ve posted this question at the bottom of a thread that has nothing to do with your question. In forum terms, this is called “Hijacking the thread”. I’d love to answer your question, but I really need you to start a new thread rather than attaching it to this completely unrelated topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Rob

Hello forum, am bernard and am new here.

well am having some difficulties with installing lua to my computer, it says (the server returens status code 404) please i need help.

Hi Bernard. Welcome to the Forums!

You don’t need to install Lua to use Corona SDK. We have Lua built into our product and you really can’t use the external Lua interpreter with Corona.

Rob

Wow, this thread really attracted and got ignored by the target audience!

One last piece of advice: If your question is answered click the “Mark as answered” button. Doing that shows the post was answered in the forum list and throws the best post up to the top of the thread for easy finding.

It’s incredible the number of times people have essentially hijacked this thread.

I wrote it to help people get better help in the forums by posting NEW threads with good content.

Instead I get people asking questions like I’m personally offering to help them in this thread specifically.  

TL&DR - Read my original post (page 1) and Stop posting new questions here folks…  Sheesh!  Grumble, grumble…  :blink:

I removed the off-topic post. It was asked elsewhere, but I’ve not had a chance to address it with the poster yet.

Rob

I’m new to the forum and only just noticed this. Unfortunately I already asked a few questions on here. I’ll pay attention to this from now on.

Have you done this yet?

http://docs.coronalabs.com/guide/programming/index.html

Rob

Hey. A question. How to derive the value of the variable R1 so that it can be used further.

function circle:touch(event)

if(event.phase == “moved”) then
circle.x = event.x
circle.y = event.y
circle2.x = event.x
circle2.y = event.y
xcen = circle2.x - x0
ycen = circle2.y - y0
cen = xcen^2 + ycen^2
R1 = math.sqrt(cen)
if (R1 >= R) then
xm = (xcen*R)/R1
ym = (ycen*R)/R1
circle2.x = xm + x0
circle2.y = ym + y0
end
else
circle.x = x0
circle.y = y0
circle2.x = x0
circle2.y = y0
end
end
print(R1)
circle:addEventListener(“touch”, circle)

I think maybe you didn’t read the very first post in this thread. :slight_smile:

This is a great thread. When I was a complete newbie in game development, I was clueless on how to ask questions on forums. Especially such beginners will find this extremely useful!

I am creating a game for android , in the case similar to " AdVenture Capitalist" and " Cookie Clicker", I made an animation in mp4 , can I run it by clicking on the “character” or am I obliged to use sprites for run the animation?

This thread doesn’t answer questions. :D  Post a question on a new thread, please.

Hi @lucas.ferreira15. Just a couple of points to help you be successful here.

First don’t use fonts other than the normal ones. You are using larger fonts which isn’t recommended.

But more importantly, we have specific sub-forums to ask questions in. You should not reply to an existing thread that has nothing with your question. Our seasoned developers will not read this topic because they know how to ask a better question. Your question has nothing to do with helping other people ask good questions. When you ask a question that has nothing to do with the topic, it’s called “Hijacking the thread” and that is very unpopular here.

What you should do is search for your question and see if it’s been answered before. If it hasn’t or you can’t find an appropriate one, go to a sub-forum that makes sense (or General or Newbie Questions if you can’t find one) and start a new topic or thread there.

Rob

Hey. A question. How to derive the value of the variable R1 so that it can be used further.

function circle:touch(event)

if(event.phase == “moved”) then
circle.x = event.x
circle.y = event.y
circle2.x = event.x
circle2.y = event.y
xcen = circle2.x - x0
ycen = circle2.y - y0
cen = xcen^2 + ycen^2
R1 = math.sqrt(cen)
if (R1 >= R) then
xm = (xcen*R)/R1
ym = (ycen*R)/R1
circle2.x = xm + x0
circle2.y = ym + y0
end
else
circle.x = x0
circle.y = y0
circle2.x = x0
circle2.y = y0
end
end
print(R1)
circle:addEventListener(“touch”, circle)

I think maybe you didn’t read the very first post in this thread. :slight_smile:

This is a great thread. When I was a complete newbie in game development, I was clueless on how to ask questions on forums. Especially such beginners will find this extremely useful!

I am creating a game for android , in the case similar to " AdVenture Capitalist" and " Cookie Clicker", I made an animation in mp4 , can I run it by clicking on the “character” or am I obliged to use sprites for run the animation?

This thread doesn’t answer questions. :D  Post a question on a new thread, please.

Hi @lucas.ferreira15. Just a couple of points to help you be successful here.

First don’t use fonts other than the normal ones. You are using larger fonts which isn’t recommended.

But more importantly, we have specific sub-forums to ask questions in. You should not reply to an existing thread that has nothing with your question. Our seasoned developers will not read this topic because they know how to ask a better question. Your question has nothing to do with helping other people ask good questions. When you ask a question that has nothing to do with the topic, it’s called “Hijacking the thread” and that is very unpopular here.

What you should do is search for your question and see if it’s been answered before. If it hasn’t or you can’t find an appropriate one, go to a sub-forum that makes sense (or General or Newbie Questions if you can’t find one) and start a new topic or thread there.

Rob