CORONA indie developers UNITE! (join forces to review each other apps!)

Someone else will have to organize this because I simply don’t have the time, but I’ll be happy to participate. I’ve got 3 paid apps that could use some love…

[import]uid: 19626 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99619[/import]

Does anybody know if we can setup a “closed” Twitter group? I have to admit that I am knew to the all social net thing. I have a Twitter account for my new upcoming app (@lairdgames) but I did not really use it yet until I am ready to do a Testflight of the app (pretty soon!)

I am not sure if Twitter is the way to go but I look forward to hear for any better way. I am also frankly pretty busy these days (work and finishing an app) but if we can come up with a simple way who do not take too much management, I will be willing to set it up.

Mo. [import]uid: 49236 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99629[/import]

Twitter doesn’t support private groups. Facebook does though. [import]uid: 19626 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99635[/import]

Hey Mo,
I think a Facebook group would be better if we want to keep it private. I would be willing to help with running it if you will too.

Danny [import]uid: 59140 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99636[/import]

Hello Danny. Yes Facebook sounds to be a better idea. But how do you setup a Facebook account that is not attach to a particular personal Facebook account (pages) For instance in my case I do not want to setup a Facebook page for my upcoming game that is attached to my personal Facebook account (long story) but I was not able to setup just a page by itself. I guess the only way is to open a new Facebook account for this purpose only. That would work I guess…

Thanks Danny.

Mo [import]uid: 49236 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99638[/import]

Count me in! This sounds like an interesting idea. [import]uid: 54776 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99639[/import]

Yeah I think that’s the way, setting up a new account. I’ll maybe tomorrow (college school work to do) i’ll do that but what do you want the name to be and I need every one who want to be in give me their name or link to their Facebook. They can email me at dannylego@ameritech.net . Also, after we do promotions within our own group we’re going to need more people to join, so we need to figure that out.

P.S would anyone like to revise a paper about Robert Frost? Anyone…Anyone…Bueller :slight_smile: [import]uid: 59140 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99640[/import]

facebook groups are more like forums. You would create it for your personal account then invite in people you want. The group would have its own wall and in what we are doing it doesn’t need to be facebook page per app kind of thing. We just need a place where we can post links, everyone can then like the post to indicate they’ve downloaded and rated, and can leave comments about the app.
[import]uid: 19626 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99641[/import]

I agree, but do we make it public or private? I think we need to make it a little more organized than just posting that it’s free. Maybe announce it a day ahead of time. Then post and have people like it [import]uid: 59140 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99642[/import]

I would have the person with an app make a post:

My app XYZ will be free tomorrow, April 15th. You can download it here: http://url.to/app. Please rate and then “Like” this post when you are done.

The members of the group would then make sure to download it on the day it’s open (or anytime for free apps), and then have a week to actually rate the app.
The group should probably be private [import]uid: 19626 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99643[/import]

Yes I agree, private is the way to go.

I like the facebook idea since it will make people more accountable since anybody who join can see who is “liking” who. Of course somebody can always “likes” without review/rate but I am hoping that would be the exception. This is meant to help each other get more visibility because of the reviews/ratings.

We are getting there!

Mo

[import]uid: 49236 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99644[/import]

Two last things and then I’ll be able to set it up tomorrow. How do you want invite people and who? What do you want the group to be named. [import]uid: 59140 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99647[/import]

CoronaDev has my vote. We could start with people who already have apps in any store and then expand it to other once we ironed out the kinks. At least that’s my view. I think we should start slow and see how it works out. Of course we could also go full swing and invite anybody here. I just think we could make more accountable if people have some skin in the game (ie: they need some reviews for actual apps on the store) I do not an app at this time but I am working on it. So I am willing to wait until then to join…

Mo

[import]uid: 49236 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99649[/import]

You can join, I mean you started the idea. My vote is that I post the link the Facebook page and people ask to join and, if they can, include their user names for these forums. Let’s get together about 20ish people and we’ll decide who wants to go first. I’d be willing to but I might want to do it one more time if we got a bunch more people. [import]uid: 59140 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99650[/import]

I’ve been doing a lot of reading lately on how to successfully promote an app, and each and every post I’ve read where people are being honest their sales (and my own experience) seem to indicate that making your app free for any amount of time results in essentially no boost to your sales.

Has anyone checked to see if gifting an app through iTunes makes it eligible for review? Instead of making it free and hoping other members would review it, I’d consider simply offering to gift it to other members and request a review in return. If using another iTunes account, one could potentially work the $20 = 100 reviews angle proposed earlier. [import]uid: 64596 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99658[/import]

Hi Shane. Thanks for your suggestion. If it is possible to gift an app and get a review by the reciptient then that would be a great way as well.

The real goal of making the app free for a day was not really to boost sale but just a way to get you bunch of ratings and reviews which hopefully will boost your visibility. At least that’s the theory!

I open to any simple ways to get reviews/ratings for our fellow developers.

Thanks again for the great ideas.

Mo
@Danny: Thanks!:). I am gladly willing to participate even so I do not have an app yet. I know that when the time comes, I am sure you guys will return the favor. [import]uid: 49236 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99661[/import]

No problem Mo!

Shane,
I think that it’s up to the developer how they would like to do it. If they want to gift the app great and should they choose to make it free that’s great too. Now they have a choice.

For the sake of making the program successful I would like people to let me know before they post it so we can give the most attention to one app on that day. I’l just try and space out the days.

Danny [import]uid: 59140 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99665[/import]

A lot of excellent ideas here, I’d love to be part of this! [import]uid: 127106 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99666[/import]

Count me in for this plan. [import]uid: 110373 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99669[/import]

Cool Danny. Yes I agree people will have a choice on how they want to do it. The Facebook is s great way to gather all the people who want to join. By the way if CoronaDev is not available, we could try CoronaUnite! I believe there is a dev corona Facebook page already!

http://apps.facebook.com/dev-corona-voting/

That could be an issue. Maybe we should go for CoronaUnite but I will let you choose.

Thanks again Danny.

Mo [import]uid: 49236 topic_id: 24220 reply_id: 99673[/import]