Latest iOS versions unsupported by Solar2D

For over a month, version 17.4 of iOS wasn’t supported by the latest build of Solar2D (2024.3706).

Now, version 17.5 of iOS is the latest version and it too, is not supported.

The latest Solar2D Build only supports iOS version 17.2.

Does anyone know if and when we will see an update to resolve this?

Hi Troy,

Previously there was a big discussion about the suffering we live, caused by companies like Google and Apple.

This will never end, and they will keep updating every month and surprise us when our builds fail.

God be with the great people who have to update the SDKs and plugins we use. I truly appreciate what they do because otherwise we will be out of business :slight_smile:

I don’t understand. I’m playing a game I built yesterday on Solar2D version 3699 on an iPhone running iOS 17.5.

Solar2D doesn’t support the latest version of Xcode, but you absolutely do not need to be building on the latest version of Xcode for your builds to be compatible with the latest version of iOS.

You’re not using the latest Xcode and you are also not using the latest version of solar2D. My point is, why not?

I agree. God bless them. But at some point, it’s clear their inability to keep up with changes by Google and Apple will leave us unable to update our apps. I’ve been in this position for 6 months, so far.

Well, as discussed, I can’t use the latest version of Xcode, as Solar2D hasn’t caught up with it yet. Plus, why would I? I’m not building native iOS apps in Swift, so none of the bells and whistles in the latest version of Xcode apply to me.

Same goes for Solar2D. I am not a hobby programmer, I am running a business. Since updates to the engine and plugins occasionally introduce bugs, I stick with a stable version that I know works for my apps until I am compelled to upgrade to a later version. It’s just good practice.

There are a couple of people who have been having some weird issues recently, but I don’t think they are directly related to wide-spread flaws in the engine or any native plugins.

• Chris’ issue with setOfferToken: No one else is reporting being contacted by Google about this, and he found a bunch of people using Unity who are having the same problem. Probably not actually an issue with plugin.google.iap.billing.v2

• Dave’s weird build error: It sounds like he’s having an HTTPS issue that might be caused by a new router?

• I know you’ve been having a wild ride recently, but one issue was solved by rebooting your computer, the TestFlight thing sounds like a Apple bug and I know Scott works on Solar2D, but his IronSource plugin is from the Solar2D Marketplace which is, to quote from the website, “…not directly associated with solar2d.com.”

Being on Solar2D sometimes feels like being on an airplane that is being repaired mid-flight, but Vlad and Scott are keeping it in the air! I feel like there are a lot of “Solar2D is busted” issues that are cropping up right now that ultimately turn out to not actually be a problem with Solar2D, but it’s feeding this narrative that Solar2D is unreliable, which, in my experience, it is not. I put out updates every month on every platform. Yeah, sometimes there’s a snag from one of the platforms and everyone has to run around with their hair on fire, but most of the time, when I run into a problem, it turns out to be on my end. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Wise words, Colin!

Since we’re now off-topic,
Allow me to share my thoughts:
Sometimes you feel overwhelmed and like you’re going in circles without making progress… However, if I’m the only one having a problem, then I’m probably the one doing something wrong.

It happens to find yourself at a dead end and it doesn’t depend on the technology you’re using. It happens with any framework, with any language, and on any machine.

Personally, I’ve improved this situation by trying to be less headstrong.
After all, conforming to a shared approach is a characteristic inherent in frameworks and communities.

Moreover: when facing three different problems, you need to stay calm and focus on one at a time.

Do you think top frameworks are immune to the constant updates from Apple and Google?
Sometimes things break, everywhere.

Since Solar2D became open-source, some people get scared more easily, but personally, the only thing I envy about other frameworks is the visibility they have.
If you want some reassurance, take a look at the Unity forum and tell me if there aren’t people stuck, abandoned to their fate. Spoiler: there are!

Troy, I invite you to join us on Discord. It’s easier to leverage Colin’s experience and others’ there. I do it often and it’s great! :smiley:

Returning in topic:
As Colin said, latest iOs versions are fully suported (so probably this topic can be closed)

2 Likes

@Il.Sui before I close this topic, can anyone tell me what the latest Solar2D build version and Xcode versions are where the ironSource plugins are working fine on iOS?

I don’t use the plugin, but here are a few thoughts in case no one who knows what they’re talking about gets back to you:
Looking at Scott’s change log for the IronSouce plugin, he updated it to SDK 8.0.0 on April 29, so he would have probably been testing it with Solar2d version 3706 which works with Xcode 15.2. (I’m not sure why Scott suggested you use 15.3 in the other thread- probably a typo.)
Perhaps revert to those versions and see if you can get the sample project to build and run on iOS.

@colinmorgan I reverted to Xcode 15.2 as you suggested, exact same problem occurs. Solar2D CRASHES immediately upon launch.

@Scott_Harrison apparently, my upload to AppStoreConnect with Transporter, resulted in an email from App Store Connect that is NEW.

App Store Connect

Hello,

We noticed one or more issues with a recent delivery for the following app:

Jesus Bible Trivia Games Quiz
Version 5.34
Build 2024.5.170713
Although delivery was successful, you may want to correct the following issues in your next delivery. Once you've corrected the issues, upload a new binary to App Store Connect.

ITMS-90863: Macs with Apple silicon support issue - The app links with libraries that aren’t present in macOS:

@rpath/AppLovinSDK.framework/AppLovinSDK
Apple Developer Relations

I went to my is.com Dashboard and can also see that my AppLovin ads stopped showing data on December 7, 2023, about the same time all this started to happen.

The app is still crashing on execution. I wonder if something to do with your AppLovin plugin is at issue. I’ll remove and test.

Solar2D crashes, or the app crashes?

Is this an iOS app? Why are you getting messages from Apple about compatibility with Mac computers?

@colinmorgan I have a MacBook M1 Pro, and my app is configured to run on Apple silicon Mac’s under iOS support. In other words, iOS apps can run on the Mx chips.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR TRYING TO HELP ME SOLVE THIS! FYI, Xcode 15.2 is the latest version supported by Solar2D. Although I did try 15.3, it does give me an error message, but my primary issue was resolved.

Hallelujah! Apparently, the problem with the appLovin ironSource plugin was responsible for the crash. And Apple’s NEW AppStoreConnect email regarding this issue brought it to my attention.

@Scott_Harrison I’ve entirely removed anything about appLovin from my game code. I’ve also disabled AppLovin from the is.com mediation as well as from the SDK Networks configuration.

Please let me know once you have updated and fixed the appLovin SDK in your ironSource appLovin plugin.

2 Likes

AppLovin should be fixed now

Hey @troylyndon you said you updated your app in these days?!
What about the issue reported by Apple that I posted here Email received from Apple - NSPrivacyAccessedAPITypes array missed ?