New Candy Lib: Widget Candy for Corona

I have already Text Candy and particle Candy how can I get 50% off or is that not possible. [import]uid: 8697 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105194[/import]

Oh sure… on the same day my game is approved to the App store! Where were you a month ago!!! :slight_smile:

If I decided to do another game I’ll definitely buy it. I used Text Candy and Particle Candy in my current game and they saved me a ridiculous amount of time.
[import]uid: 5540 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105197[/import]

Does anyone tried the library with an ipad3 and if yes how does it look? I have a iphone 4 and ipad2 and it looks great but i am worrying how it look on a ipad3 ? The gxf_widgest.png sheet seems to be only 512x512 (for all those the UI element) It does not seems to be enough for an ipad3 if start zooming the sheet to fit the new screen size)

It maybe just fine since i do not have an ipad3. Is there some pixelization effect when the library is used on an ipad3 (for the lucky people who has one!)?
Thanks a lot.

Mo.

ps: Thanks god widget library is sooo customizable or many future apps here may have looked the same:) [import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105214[/import]

@bryan.vaccaro: all widgets return a handle when created that can be used like common Corona display objects, so you can move or animate a widget (or apply a transition to it), if you like to. However, it’s a good suggestion to add some widget animation effects that can be easily used as widget methods. Will probably be added with the next updates.

@Rodrigo: we’ll add a feature for list widgets with the next update, so that they won’t display a title caption bar when no caption text is specified.

@dataskrekk: icons can’t be flipped yet, but we’ll add such a feature if it there’s a high demand for it (we always try to keep the library as slim and efficient as possible, though).

@cublah: as written in the first post, we’ll offer a 50% off discount for all Text Candy or Particle Candy owners. Just enter your personal coupon code that you received to activate your discount. Same the other way around: when purchasing Widget Candy, you’ll receive a coupon code to get the other Candy libs half off, too.

@LairdGames: Widget Candy is very customizable, but you should also try to create your own widget graphic sheets. It’s not too difficult to create a completely new and unique skin, this can be done quickly (using the default ones as a template), once you are used to it. [import]uid: 10504 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105263[/import]

@x-pressive:

flipping icons: I see this as useful for arrows used on next/previous buttons (not so much the other icons). [import]uid: 109677 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105268[/import]

@x-pressive : Thanks for the reply.

as you said:we’ll add a feature for list widgets with the next update, so that they won’t display a title caption bar when no caption text is specified.

I`m really looking forward this amazing feature! If you would give me some “idea” of the time that this update will be going released…wow.
Cheers,
Rodrigo. [import]uid: 89165 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105357[/import]

This looks fantastic. Great work. [import]uid: 110373 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105403[/import]

It sure would be fantastic if buttons could expand or contract automatically based on the size of the text. Am I missing it, or is that not possible?

Also, is there a way to adjust the vertical placement of the text within the button, like you can horizontally? I’m finding that text defaults to a spot well below the halfway mark…

Really nice work on this, extremely useful.

[import]uid: 96383 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105408[/import]

@x-pressive: A little tutorial on how to create our own widget graphic sheets will be fantastic. For instance how to align all these widgets on the sheet? is GUMP or Paint.net enough or do we need a better tool? What size sheet do we need so the widgets looks good on the new ipad?

Thanks for a wonderful library. I CANNOT wait to use it on my next game (my current is too far along)

Mo [import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105454[/import]

+1 for @Mo request.

Sure one little tutorial about that would be AWESOME!

Looking forward it! :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Rodrigo. [import]uid: 89165 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105455[/import]

@khincker: Expanding buttons (according to their text) have been added to the list and will be available with the next update, too. Also a setting to adjust the vertical placement of the text within buttons.

Creating new themes is really easy -just copy an existing theme (a theme’s settings file and it’s folder), rename it and open the widget graphic sheet with any paint tool. Enable the grid view there, if available and set it to a size of 40x40 pixels (for the “New iPad” a recommended widget frame size would be 80x80 pixels by the way).

If your paint tool does not support a grid view, just create a transparent png with a 40x40 grid on it and add it as a layer on top of the graphic sheet.

Now you should clearly see how widgets are put together. Buttons, for example, are made of three parts: a left cap, a middle section, and a right cap. A window is made of 9 parts (the corners, the edges and the middle part). Buttons also have three modes: normal, pressed and toggled. This is why you’ll find three versions of a button on that texture.

The widgets are already arranged on the graphic sheet in a way that is easy to determine what drawing goes where. If you are not sure, refer to a theme’s settings file where you find a mapping list (see line 90 and below). This describes where to find what widget part on the widget sheet (always in frame numbers, counted from top left to the right and bottom).

Use the “Theme Tester Window” (included with the samples) to check out how your custom theme looks. If you are unsure what you need to change on the graphic sheet -just play a little. Draw some “crap” onto the texture and reload the Theme Tester Window to see the difference. You should be used to it in a very short time.

[import]uid: 10504 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105465[/import]

I like the current themes but it would be nice if also a ‘native-look’ theme will be included.

Can I add this feature request to the list?

Ivke
[import]uid: 106768 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105475[/import]

Great framework. Very pleased with it. Works pretty decent on my Kindle Fire if I don’t push it too hard. :slight_smile: iPad3 is smooth as butter.

Nicely organized with lots of great examples.

Thanks sir!

-Mario [import]uid: 11636 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105551[/import]

Hi,
I’ve bought the package and it’s really awesome :slight_smile: saved me a lot of time and well worth the money.

One _big_ issue we had was with the Lists. The fact that the list is only loading the items it needs to show saves memory and makes the list scalable but at the cost of really bad performance, so the fact there is no degradation from this state is not really helpful :slight_smile:

In our example we had around 60 rows in the list and scrolling through them on a Samsung Galaxy 2 or iPad 3 was very “jumpy”…

We looked into your code and it seems that line 3304 in the function _arrangeList is the cause:
Items[i][3].text = data.caption

apparently each time a new item needs to be added to the shown items you iterate through all of them and rebuild them and rendering the new texts, in our case at least, proved to be the bottleneck.

We verified this in two ways:

1. we create the same list but removed this line and everything worked fast but no texts…
  2. we set the same text to all rows, I suspect that in this case Corona is optimized not to re-render the same text if it doesn’t change…

Regardless, I think that in the vast majority of cases your smart runtime loading is an over kill and the best thing would be to just preload all the data and have a smooth scolling experience. The way it works now was a show stopper for us.

What we ended up doing is adding a new Props.cached property to the list and modified the code to preload all items and not call _arrangeList each time (instead calling a new function _updateItem when the item is clicked and after the onSelect handler as well. We had to call this for both the old selected item (to “un-select” it) and on the newly select item to color it as selected.

Hope you’ll find this feature important enough for a future release…

PS, you can also notice this slowness in your own example. The list view is not scrolling smoothly on any of my devices: iPad3, Galaxy S2, HTC Desire HD, iPhone 4s, iPod touch 3rd gen, Kindle Fire.
[import]uid: 80469 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105546[/import]

Is it possible to collapse and expand the list dividers?

A Social/Monitization Candy as Mo suggested gets a +1 from me.
And a ‘native-look’ theme as Ivke suggested gets another +1.

Keep up the good work! [import]uid: 129287 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105553[/import]

@x-pressive.com: thanks for the customization tips. I actually went ahead and “play” around with one of the gfx_widget file using paint.net and it was very cool to see the effect on the simulator. I did not do anything to the elements, simply added glow to the all sheet for instance. I will take more time when i am actually ready to use the library.

Thanks again for a fantastic library.
Mo
[import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105659[/import]

What also would be nice:

• calendar widget (would be very nice!)
  • chart widget ( for line chart, pie chart, etc…)

And indeed, please keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

Ivke
[import]uid: 106768 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105679[/import]

@gury.traub: thanks for the hint. We will test the list widget performance thoroughly and improve it, where neccessary. Our own tests, however, did not show any slow downs, so could you please let us know if and what daily build or Corona version you are using?

@ivke2006: for a chart widget, what features would you expect in detail? If you have some ideas or suggestion on this, please drop an email and let us know in detail ( support [at] x-pressive.com ) and we’ll see what we can do.

@ivke2006 & Dr.Mabuse: Collapsable list sections are already added to our to-do list, but we cannot give a promise that this will be available with the next update.

There will definately be an “iOS styled”, native theme with the next update. It’s already finished (a “sketch” or “doodle” styled theme is also in the works).

Here’s a small preview of the new “iOS” theme:

[import]uid: 10504 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105703[/import]

I am also seeing some slowdown even on the sample provided, mainly with scrolling the lists, it’s not smooth at all. I’m using the latest daily build.(807)

Great addition to Corona though and i’m sure you will sort this out :slight_smile: [import]uid: 8697 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105706[/import]

We are using the 799 daily build.
We also see the slowness when we just build the provided sample (for both android and ios devices) when scrolling the lists.

Also there are some issues when using the NewInput.
We have only tested that on an android device, but the underlying native input field (newTextField) is showing wrongly and is super short (in height), I played some with the code and was able to change the reference point to center causing it to position normally.

In general, AWESOME WORK :slight_smile:

Thanks,
-Gury
[import]uid: 80469 topic_id: 25953 reply_id: 105711[/import]