Rebranding Corona

As I think we mentioned above, the rebranding discussion is happening on the community slack in the #rebrand channel. All logo, icon, font, color theme, tagline suggestions etc. needs to go there.

We haven’t decided on anything yet. I’ve given the community a soft deadline of 15-Apr to come up with ideas. Then I’ll talk with Vlad about how we want to pick among the best.

There have been some very good submissions so far. This logo is as good as any, but it needs to be seen where the others are and it needs to be a standalone image. The welcome screen really hides it.

Rob

I agree with MartingK regarding bmrpeal’s logo idea.

Also, while I said in Slack that in my opinion the logo doesn’t need to have any references to the old one, I think that bmrpeal’s suggestion embodies the old logo fantastically.

@Rob

Are there any requirements for rebranding? Also I went to Slack but did not see a #rebrand channel.

Thanks for your feedback XeduR and MartingK, I’ll do a variation with your proposal. I’ll continue in Slack, sorry for the inconvenience @Rob !

Mike, I added you to the channel.

Rob

Mike, I missed the other question. Everyone seems focused on a Logo at the moment. I’m guessing that color palettes can be extracted from the logo as well as Icons. Other things like taglines haven’t gotten a lot of momentum.

As far as design guidelines, there aren’t any really. I think it needs to embody the sun some how. But that’s not a hard decision. Some of the really good designs are not obvious suns.

You shouldn’t go with Solar alone as it’s already too generic and who knows what solar energy solutions future might bring. So 2D or smth else is a must in my opinion.

I might go with smth like Rise that has more relatable meanings (sun rise, rise and shine, reborn… I like this meaning: find the strength or ability to respond adequately to (a challenging situation).

You could also go with Rise2D or iRise2D with even more religious and spiritual undertones.

Personally I like Solar2D, and I’m not being funny but the last thing I would like to see is any kind of religious connection. 

I might go with smth like Rise that has more relatable meanings (sun rise, rise and shine, reborn… I like this meaning: find the strength or ability to respond adequately to (a challenging situation).

You could also go with Rise2D or iRise2D with even more religious and spiritual undertones.

I’m not sure religious undertones are really needed for a game engine? And adding a lowercase “i” to the name would probably cause issues, or at the very least misunderstandings.

It’s Solar2D (Solar, Solar 2D, Solar 2d, or some combination). We have the domain name solar2d.com. We have people submitting Logos and other marketing collateral around that name. We’ve extended the deadline for branding submissions until this weekend. It’s too late to be changing names now.

Rob

Agree about avoiding religious undertones and It’s not that I don’t like Solar, I was just throwing a new idea out there that I got from Sun rise and it seemed more methaphorical and meaningful somehow. As I said, I especially like the part about being able to rise to the challange.
I have no problems with Solar2D, but I read a lot about solar energy, solar roof and what not on google news etc., hence my concern.

Solar2D is fine. Only Solar will be tough on google. I’ll delete my previous posts to stop the confusion. Sorry.

I don’t use Slack, so I would like to know if you have already defined a logo for Solar2D or do you have a date to announce?

There have been over 30 submissions (probably closer to 50 if you count where people put multiple logos in a single file) that the community is trying to figure out what they like the best. We gave them until this weekend to provide Vlad and me their top 5 and from there we will pick the one we like and start going with it. Hopefully we won’t take too long to make a decision once we have it narrowed down. While May 1 isn’t a hard deadline to have everything rebranded, we certainly would like to have some progress made by then.

Using Slack for something like that means the conversation is lost as soon as it scrolls off the screen, doesn’t it? Or am I just old and don’t get Slack?

As far as the new name goes, I don’t love it, but I don’t hate it. I do dislike the 2D stuck on the end, but understand it’s a necessary evil when searching for a generic(ish) word like Solar.

At least that helps me decide whether to renew the CoronaSDK-related domains I have. :wink:

Corona RIP!

Long live Solar2D!

Ive never used slack but that thing has long chat histories, like 6 months or so. I like the new name!!!

If I’m being honest, there is no name that 100% of our community would be happy with that’s available. 

I would prefer to have the conversation here, but most the vocal group is on Slack and there isn’t much chance of me forcing them here. And honestly It would really help Vlad and myself to not have conversations happening in multiple places.

Rob

Great name! I like it

So it’s like Sun’s Corona -> Solar…good!

Great move, Rob!

So then it’s like forums with no categories/topics – everything all jumbled together. Nice. *sigh*

Alternatively, there might be a Solar SDK. Thanks.