Starting on May 5, developers will have to explain why applications need extended storage access.

The play console sent me the following message:

We found that there is a requestLegacyExternalStorage flag in the manifest file of one or more App Bundle sets or APK files of your app.

App developers for devices running Android 11 and later should use storage areas. This gives the user more control over access to the storage on their devices. To release the app for devices running Android 11 and later after May 5, you must do one of the following::

Use more privacy-friendly ways to work with files in the app, such as the storage access platform or the MediaStore API.
Specify in the declaration that the manifest file has permission to access all files (MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE), and fill in the declaration of permissions to access all files in the Play Console from May 5.
Completely remove the permission to access all files from the app.
For apps targeting Android 11, the requestLegacyExternalStorage flag will be ignored. To maintain extended access, you must use the permission to access all files.

Apps that request permission to access all files, but do not meet the requirements, will be removed from Google Play, and you will not be able to publish updates for them.

I don’t quite understand what needs to be done to meet the new requirements. In general, my application does not require any permissions, especially extended access to the storage. Maybe someone has encountered this and can advise something? Thank you in advance!

I think a lot of people got this message. There’s a thread on the same topic here:

Thanks! They write that Vlad is working on the issue; I hope I can understand how to solve this problem.

Closed as a duplicate thread.