About video player

Hello, is there a chance to play video files on Windows like Löve can do with .ogv ?? I’m still waiting for it and don’t want to change framework just for this lack.

Hi.

You might be able to achieve this with web views, if you don’t mind the object always being on top. I don’t know offhand what formats this method supports.

I’ve got a (fairly new) Theora plugin, currently Windows-only. Here’s its very messy test project: video.zip (2.0 KB) (Never mind the MPEG library also in there. It’s a mess of artifacts at the moment; I clearly botched something.)

I think these were all my test files.

It’s obviously a slightly different setup from what a built-in API would give you, what with rigging up a display object, although that does let you slot the video into Solar’s display hierarchy. No audio at the moment.

There are a few engine improvements I want to attempt down the road, mostly audio- and texture format-related, that would also be relevant here.

Thanks for your help but your sample makes crash Corona simulator :shushing_face:
It’s maybe because of the sample files I used

Ah, nuts. I assume this is the simulator actually shutting down, not just a Lua error? Any chance you can DM me one of the problem videos (here or in Discord)? I’d obviously like this to fix any such troubles. :slight_smile:

Actually, your sample is not easy to understand, that’s not a LUA error, it crashes.
It requires 2 plugins, I don’t know if they are already implemented in the core or I need to add them. Then, I don’t understand why there’re timers and 2 video files… So hard to find a simple code, a such thing:

video_handle=video.load(filename)
video.play(video_handle)