[Action Required] Remove the addApi(Drive.API)

Today I received an email from Google with the subject:
[Action Required] Remove the addApi(Drive.API) code from your apps that initialize the Google Drive Android API

I will show below the body of the email, but before I want to point that Google indicated that 3 of my games uses Google Drive API, nevertheless the three games that Google indica does not make any call to Drive API, just the common calls: to logged in to gpgs, submit score to leaderboards and show leaderboards.

After I read the email, I logged in to Google Cloud and disabled the Google Drive API from those 3 game projects, and after that I tested one of those games and none of the calls to gpgs worked. I mean, the user can not logged in to gpgs, leaderboards does not submit and you can not show leaderboards. So, I enabled the Google Drive API and bingo, all ok again. So, it seems that Solar2d calls to that API internally.

Email from Google:
Hello Google Developer,

We’re writing to let you know that we’ve found one or more of your apps continue to initialize the Google Drive Android API, which will be fully turned off on February 1, 2023. Impacted apps are listed at the end of this email.

What does this mean for my organization?

On December 6, 2018, we announced that we’re simplifying options for developers by retiring the Google Drive Android API. Since the beginning of 2022, none of the Google Drive Android API calls are functional anymore. You might have unintentionally integrated with it in the past.

On February 1, 2023, the Google Drive Android API will be fully turned off. Any app that continues to initialize the Google Drive Android API will start to break.

What do I need to do?

Please remove the following code from the apps before February 1, 2023.

addApi(Drive.API)

Note: Even if your app doesn’t rely on Google Drive, your app’s functionality might be impacted if you connect to the Google Drive Android API.

Impacted applications

Your impacted projects are below:

1055772489579 (links-puzzle)
1096746989156 (true-or-false-biblical-2827741)
936254433935 (fill-multicolor-dots-puzzl-184)

Thanks for choosing Google Workspace.

– The Google Workspace Team

+1

Also recieved this message for some of our games which use gpgs. Some of these use the older gpgs v1, some use gpgs v2.

I’m hoping this won’t have an impact on gpgs functionality, would be great to know for sure.

Same for me, some with v1 and some with v2.

I’ve opened a new issue about this on Github. Follow the link below: