Admins, Are you agressively marketing to colleges?

While I hear that Corona SDK is very popular, I am surprised I am not hearing Corona being used in LOTS of Universities.  I am wandering if you all are trying to push Corona to the Universities.  Trying to get them to use it in their colleges.  I did see Dr Brian Burton advertising that he was teaching it in his college and I heard bits and pieces.  I am just curious if you all are trying or just hoping that they catch on by itself?

I am hoping one day it will get added to MIT or other University that offers the online class free.  hehe.  But, if Corona SDK is SOOO popular, then I am curious as to why I am not seeing/hearing it being used in LOTS of college campus’ around the world?  I don’t think it would be hard to put together an info pack and mail it to every big name University.  This would of course get you more programmers using it.

Just curious,

Markis

I was a college instructor for MANY years.  I am just now learning Corona now.

Being in academia now, I can say that whenever these kinds of questions arise (why isn’t ___ in the curriculum), the profs always counter with “Ok, we’d love to add ____, but what should we drop from the curriculum to make room for it?” 

Which maybe begs the question:  what do Corona devs think could be removed from the average CS curriculum to make room for Corona/mobile dev concepts?

Having been in Academia for a couple dozen years, that answer is obvious.

They need to look at what they are currently offering and see if today’s requirements are still being met by their current listing.  For example, if they are teaching C, which still is needed in the workplace then they need to ask themselves which is better for the student.

Another possible and better answer is to offer ANOTHER degree path.  One that focus on mobile technology.  

Still hoping to hear a reply from the Admins.

Thanks!

Markis

Being in academia now, I can say that whenever these kinds of questions arise (why isn’t ___ in the curriculum), the profs always counter with “Ok, we’d love to add ____, but what should we drop from the curriculum to make room for it?” 

Which maybe begs the question:  what do Corona devs think could be removed from the average CS curriculum to make room for Corona/mobile dev concepts?

Having been in Academia for a couple dozen years, that answer is obvious.

They need to look at what they are currently offering and see if today’s requirements are still being met by their current listing.  For example, if they are teaching C, which still is needed in the workplace then they need to ask themselves which is better for the student.

Another possible and better answer is to offer ANOTHER degree path.  One that focus on mobile technology.  

Still hoping to hear a reply from the Admins.

Thanks!

Markis

Hi Markis,

I realize that it has been a while since you posted, but I wanted to provide an update.
I have seen a steady improvement in the number of universities and high schools that are offering classes in Corona. 
Many are replacing existing classes or changing modules to use Corona. 

There are many reasons for the slow change, but I think (and hope) that the main reasons we are seeing a larger adoption is that Corona is now free and the field of stable, mature, cross-platform app & game development tools has continued to thin.

Personal plug: If you are looking for a textbook to teach mobile app/game development at the high school or college level, send me a message.  We are seeing more schools and colleges adopt our textbooks every semester.

Dr. Burton

Hi Markis,

I realize that it has been a while since you posted, but I wanted to provide an update.
I have seen a steady improvement in the number of universities and high schools that are offering classes in Corona. 
Many are replacing existing classes or changing modules to use Corona. 

There are many reasons for the slow change, but I think (and hope) that the main reasons we are seeing a larger adoption is that Corona is now free and the field of stable, mature, cross-platform app & game development tools has continued to thin.

Personal plug: If you are looking for a textbook to teach mobile app/game development at the high school or college level, send me a message.  We are seeing more schools and colleges adopt our textbooks every semester.

Dr. Burton