alt key doesn't seem to register in key listener

Tried both build 3224 and 3326, both builds don’t seem to register either keyboard ‘alt’ key with a key listener.

Every other key on the keyboard registers fine with the key listener.

I have also checked using windows pop up keyboard that my alt keys work fine. 

Tested using ctrl+enter (instead of trying alt) and can switch between fullscreen / windowed mode, so no issues with the code.

Using the new build 3226 event.isAltDown also does not register either alt keys.

This is a bit of an issue of you want a game to switch between fullscreen and windowed mode as almost all windows games use alt+enter to switch between modes.

Anyone having similar issues?

I just checked on my Mac and it’s showing the alt key working.

Are you using a US101 keyboard, or do you have some other keyboard setting?
Are you on a mac or windows?

Rob

This is a Windows problem.  

The Windows OS does not throw a key event for Alt.  While it does register the press and track it, you won’t get a standalone key event for this key.

Hmmm some additional checking shows in all Windows builds/runs Alt is basically useless.  You can get the ‘up’ phase, but only if you press another key at the same time.

unning:

• Simulator - Pressing ALT + SOME_KEY only returns up phase of ALT and other keys press is entirely lost.
  • Windows App Build - Same

Corona 2018.3226

I would think .isAltDown should toggle between true and false though.

Yes, but it simply doesn’t in Windows systems.  Alt is a weird key for Windows which I generally avoid using in Corona Apps.

To be clear, this is what you see for events related to Alt:

• Alt Pressed and Released alone - Nothing.
  • Alt Pressed and Held, then letter key pressed and released - Only the ‘up’ phase and it reports itself as ALT.  The letter press is not communicated as an event.
  • Others… I’d have to test, but this has been enough in the past for me to take Alt out of my list of ‘used keys’

Corona docs indicate event.isAltDown, should they read event.isAltPressed? Have yet to try that although doubt that will register either. 

Yes agree, did the same checking previously. However was wondering how other games developed for windows have no problem using alt+enter then unless it has something to do with corona?

If you are blocked by this you can make a small sample and file a bug:  https://portal.coronalabs.com/bug-submission

I am not saying there is no way to make this work, just that for Corona apps on Windows it doesn’t and I don’t remember it ever working, so I’ve avoided it. 

Still I see why you would want it since Alt-Enter is pretty standard for switching to and from full-screen mode.

Sorry, I had a brain lapse.  It’s .isAltDown

event.isAltDown

Rob

I’m on both mac and windows, but I only came across this on the windows 10 OS since there is no need for alt+enter on a mac. I will check if alt registers on mac os.

I just checked on my Mac and it’s showing the alt key working.

Are you using a US101 keyboard, or do you have some other keyboard setting?
Are you on a mac or windows?

Rob

This is a Windows problem.  

The Windows OS does not throw a key event for Alt.  While it does register the press and track it, you won’t get a standalone key event for this key.

Hmmm some additional checking shows in all Windows builds/runs Alt is basically useless.  You can get the ‘up’ phase, but only if you press another key at the same time.

unning:

• Simulator - Pressing ALT + SOME_KEY only returns up phase of ALT and other keys press is entirely lost.
  • Windows App Build - Same

Corona 2018.3226

I would think .isAltDown should toggle between true and false though.

Yes, but it simply doesn’t in Windows systems.  Alt is a weird key for Windows which I generally avoid using in Corona Apps.

To be clear, this is what you see for events related to Alt:

• Alt Pressed and Released alone - Nothing.
  • Alt Pressed and Held, then letter key pressed and released - Only the ‘up’ phase and it reports itself as ALT.  The letter press is not communicated as an event.
  • Others… I’d have to test, but this has been enough in the past for me to take Alt out of my list of ‘used keys’

Corona docs indicate event.isAltDown, should they read event.isAltPressed? Have yet to try that although doubt that will register either. 

Yes agree, did the same checking previously. However was wondering how other games developed for windows have no problem using alt+enter then unless it has something to do with corona?

If you are blocked by this you can make a small sample and file a bug:  https://portal.coronalabs.com/bug-submission

I am not saying there is no way to make this work, just that for Corona apps on Windows it doesn’t and I don’t remember it ever working, so I’ve avoided it. 

Still I see why you would want it since Alt-Enter is pretty standard for switching to and from full-screen mode.

Sorry, I had a brain lapse.  It’s .isAltDown

event.isAltDown

Rob

I’m on both mac and windows, but I only came across this on the windows 10 OS since there is no need for alt+enter on a mac. I will check if alt registers on mac os.