Amazon complaining about minimum target API level

We recently submitted updates to all our apps on Amazon, following their new requirement of minimum API level. We built the apps using Solar2D v2021.3661. Yesterday we received this email from Amazon:

“We previously contacted you regarding a required update to your Fire TV and/or Fire tablet app(s) target API level.

- Apps running on Fire OS 7 will require a minimum target API level of 28.
- Apps running on Fire OS 6 will require a minimum target API level of 25.

To ensure your app remains compliant with the target API level requirement, up-level the ‘targetSdkVersion’ and re-submit a new version of your app by March 31, 2022.“

The email seems personalized rather than a generic email sent to everyone. According to Solar’s release notes, it is currently targeting API level 30, so we shouldn’t have any issues with the minimum API. Are we required to do anything else to support API level 30?

Do you have a minSdkVersion in your build.settings file?

No, we don’t set minSdkVersion in build.settings. Should we? The message says “up-level the targetSdkVersion”, so my understanding is that their requirement is not related to minSdkVersion.

I thought the targetSdkVersion is only determined by the version of Solar2D.

Unfortunately, my relationship to Amazon build settings is a bit “Cargo Cult”, so I’ve got a thing that works, but I’m not sure which parts of what I do are helpful and which are just meaningless ritual.

That said, I send updates to the Amazon Appstore every 3-4 weeks with no problem. I do the following:

• In build.settings, in the Android section, I have minSdkVersion = "16",
  • I build with Solar2D version 3644 that targets API 29
  • I move my AndroidResources folder out of my project folder before doing an Amazon build

Of course, this could just be a timing thing, and next time I update I’ll get a similar note from Amazon. :roll_eyes:

Thanks for sharing your rituals! :grin: We’ll try adding the minSdkVersion and see what happens.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.