Android 11 Storage Permission Updates

So Google recently provided an update for new permission requirements that are needed for apps that target Android 11 (see https://developer.android.com/preview/privacy/storage). Specifically, they mention:

“If your app targets Android 11, both the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission and the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE privileged permission no longer provide any additional access.”

They also mention that the MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission more or less replaces the previous permissions for Android 11, however they also say that all apps that use this must “must successfully pass an appropriate access review prior to publishing”, so it seems they will be more strict when you request this new permission.

Currently, my apps use expansion files as well as saving files to the system.DocumentsDirectory using display.save, so do all apps that will run on Android 11 have to include this new MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission in build settings? Is there anything else we need that will allow our apps to work with Android 11 once it’s released? I’m wondering if anyone could shed some light on this situation, as I’m a little confused as to what new permissions will be needed, and haven’t been able to find anything regarding this with Solar2D. Thanks in advance!

Hello!
We are targeting Android 10 for now. As far as I can tell, DocumentsDirectory does not require any permissions.
I am working on removing legacy storage permission requirement to APIs like media.capturePhoto/display.save.
Hang on for updates.

2 Likes