Android 64bit App Rejection in Dec 2020

I am trying to update an Android app that has been on the store for years, and was most recently updated in Oct 2020. When I try to release a build to production I receive the Android 64bit error that follows.

This release is not compliant with the Google Play 64-bit requirement.
The following APKs or App Bundles are available to 64-bit devices, but they only have 32-bit native code: [2024]
Include 64-bit and 32-bit native code in your app. Use the Android App Bundle publishing format to automatically ensure that each device architecture receives only the native code it needs. This avoids increasing the overall size of your app

I have never run into this issue before, although I know it has been mentioned several times here and on the blog.

I am not sure how to proceed. I am using build 2020.3632 so I assume that all the code is being compiled in 64. When I view the APK details on Google Play I see that 64 bit is included.

Native platforms (4)
3 DIFFERENTIATING
arm64-v8a, x86, x86_64
1 COMMON
armeabi-v7a

I feel like the ‘Common’ platform being 32 bit is what is causing my issue but I have no idea how to modify that. My only other thought is that this is related to a plugin that I am using. Plugins for this app are:

["CoronaProvider.native.popup.social"] =
    {
        publisherId = "com.coronalabs",
        supportedPlatforms = { android=true, iphone=true },
    },

["plugin.notifications"] =
    {
    },
    ["plugin.googleAnalytics"] =
    {
    },
    ['plugin.qrscanner'] = spiralcodestudio_plugin('qrscanner')

If anyone could offer a hint of where I should look to solve this problem I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

BUMP

Can anyone weigh in on this?

I have checked with the author of the qrscanner plugin and he confirmed that his plugin does not use any native code and should not be the issue.

I have tried everything that I can think of, I’m not sure why I am getting this native code error.

Just a thought as glanced through your plugins’ configuration-- you appear to be using the old notifications plugin. There is a v2 plugin that has been around for a very long time now and it’s maybe possible that they did not do a 64 bit compliant version of the old plugin?

Thank you! I will give that a shot.

Unfortunately that was not the issue. I actually submitted a build that removed all of the plugins and I still received the same error about 32 bit native code.

Are there specific steps that I need to take to convert to 64 bit from an app that was previously only 32 bit?

I have tried to follow all of the blog posts and articles that mention the 64 bit transition but several of the forum links have been broken in the move to Solar2d.

Would changing over to an aab file instead of an apk fix this issue?

I’m not aware of any specific changes that we had to make at any time for the 64-bit builds tbh. I’ve looked at our build.settings and we use all the same plugins as you except for the QRScanner plugin-- I take you’ve already tried without that plugin?

AABs shouldn’t make a difference but we have been using AABs instead of just APKs since quite some time now so maybe you could try that. It’s anyway the optimum way to deliver the app so it will be a good thing to try out anyway I suppose.

1 Like

Hi
Are you getting two files one is an .apk and another one is .aab file?

Yes. We just upload the aab to the relevant release channel but I think you’d need to first enable Google-managed app signing if you haven’t already.

I have solved this issue and want to leave a message for anyone who comes across this in the future.

The issue here was actually with Google Play and not Solar2D. Google Play was complaining that ANOTHER apk, which was being retained in the release, didn’t comply with their 64-bit requirement. The newly uploaded apk, which was created by a current version of Solar2D, was compliant. Google needs to work on their error messages.

The solution was to remove any other apks that were being retained that did not have 64-bit code.

Thank you to everyone who looked at this and offered suggestions. Sorry to have sent anyone barking up the wrong tree.

1 Like

Dont they usually mention the build number along with an error message?

it is common that Alpha/Beta apps which are ‘un-released’ in Google-Play will affect current and future releases. I had warnings/errors because of un-released Alpha/Beta apps, which was left there for a few years. Definitely google-play problem