Android adaptive icons

Hey guys, would appreciate this sooner rather than later. Christmas time is coming and want my apps to look sharp :slight_smile:

Unfortunately we hit some roadblocks in our build system with trying to bring adaptive icons to our builds

Hi @vlads, Does this mean we we can still expect it?

That’s the hope: we’re re-doing android build system, which should solve this issue, among many issues plugin developers have. But as a consequence, it will take some time.

Just a small note: if you keep the background of your icon transparent and make so the elements of the inside of your icon float. It actually doesn’t look terribly bad.

cuadros 2 icon is mine:

Some more experiment for my icon. I didn’t like how the icon looked on non-pixel launcher. So I just made it bigger. For me, this is a very acceptable compromise.

On Pixel Launcher:

On Microsoft Launcher (my favorite easy for an old man to find things):

Just bumping to see if there is any updates to this? I’m prepping some updates to all our games but I don’t want to do all the builds only to then find out if I’d have waited a day the new adaptive icons would be working.

I doubt these will be out in the next few days. It’s probably part of the long Android build update process and that’s going to be a while.

Rob

Ok that’s cool, thanks for the update.

Can we please get a proper ETA on this? Discussing an opportunity with Google and they are pointing out that my icons are not adaptive. It’s not a showstopper (for now, at least) but it doesn’t look good for my business.

Still in progress. Some of major pieces are already in place, reworking how plugins are compiled to the app at the moment. This is one of the last steps, but unfortunately may be most complicated one.

Any updates on this?

Hi Vlads!
Any idea when this will be finished?

Before August

Great!  At least we know this is something that will come to Corona.  :)

Hey guys I just updated a couple of apps with the latest daily build and noticed the icons have changed to a very small icon within a white circle on my device ‘pixel2’ Have been noticing a
few apps icons are showing this. Did a bit of googling and found it has to do with the way Google is changing the icon designs. Here is a similar post in unity.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/android-putting-my-unity-game-icons-in-a-white-circle-but-not-all-of-them.501592/
there is an image in there to illustrate the icon with white circle.

Is this something corona can fix or get an update to allow us to use adaptive icons?

Cheers

Hello all, I just want to share my experience.
I just get the same problem regarding icon on Android within a white circle.
Before, my icon was rectangle, and it had same problem when app is on the Android phone.

Then I try to made circle icon and it’s works fine on Android Phone. Maybe you can try to use Circle icon only for Android phone.
If your icon is not perfectly circle (any part is out of circle or out of circle frame), it will not work and get white circle again on Android phone.
So, I think if you use Circle icon, then you will not get White Circle on Android Phone.

Regards,

Hey @mekaingen indeed that works for devices with round icons… But only on certain devices. The reason it is called adaptive as it would adapt on any device… If you look at a galaxy tab, they have a different rounded square icon style, and if you have circle, it would show the small circle icon you create inside the white rounded icon galaxy tab sets, different devices display icons differently. Adaptive works on all.

Hello @chriz_raz… Oh, I see… that’s will be problem on other rounded rectangle icon…
Hope Corona will release adaptive icon method soon…  :slight_smile:

Hey! Sorry for a long wait. We’re testing android 64 builds now, they also feature adaptive icons.

Excellent news. Looking forward to this.

they do look awesome!