Android compile issue on linux

I did a git clone of solar2d on linux, because I do not want snap, I use apt. I compiled it and I am able to build and run the example balloon tap app on linux. However, I cannot figure out how to build the apk for android. On the web doc it says the android sdk does not need to be installed. But in the README.md file on github, it appears that intellij or android studio + android sdk have to be installed. Even after installing intellij, android studio, sdk and ndk, I still get this build error from android studio:

Cannot run program “null/Native/Corona/linux/bin/lua”

I suspect that an environment variable needs to be defined, but I grepped through the files and cannot figure out what environment variable it may want to replace that “null”, as the lua executable is there;I defined RESOURCES (corona/bin/Resources/), CORONA_ROOT, CORONA_DIR, CORONA_PATH, (all 3 to corona/) , ANDROID_NDK, ANDROID_NDK_HOME, ANDROID_NDK_ROOT;

I think a doc is needed to explain the step by step instructions for building an example apk on linux, what needs to be installed/configured

Solar2d is open source. The person that was maintaining the Linux build is not contributing any longer. Please feel free to make the necessary changes and submit pull requests when necessary.