ANNOUNCEMENT: Chrome Custom Tabs Plugin for Android

Merry Christmas everyone!

After using the SafariView plugin to do oAuth in my iOS app I needed the Android equivalent and so have created the Custom Chrome Tabs Plugin:

https://github.com/yousaf-shah/com.platopus.plugins.chromecustomtabs

This uses Google’s Chrome Custom Tabs functionality (documented here) which is almost identical in intention to SafariView on iOS.

Instructions are all in the repository along with the binaries and build.settings.

Feedback welcome, I’ve tested on a few devices and the android simulators and all seems fine. It needs API 29 / Android 10.

My SECOND Christmas present is a re-vamp of the SafariView Plugin to add extra features I felt were missing such as the option to show the browser as a pageview, change the colours, customise the close button etc. You can also now request the window to be closed and pre-warm URLs for faster loading along with other minor tweaks. The revised readme is here.

I’ve submitted a push request to Vlad for this here so hopefully you can all soon be securely firing those web sessions on both platforms!

Cheers
Y

9 Likes

Just to continue on this - the plugin is now available from Free Solar Plugins (plugins.solar2d.com)
Just search for chrome and use the plugins.chromeCustomTabs entry.

You can also use the following in build.settings:

{
    plugins = {
        ["plugin.chromeCustomTabs"] = {
            publisherId = "com.platopus",
        },
    },
}

Official documentation here:

2 Likes