[Answered] Testing IAP on Standard Android Device?

I was wondering if it was possible to test Amazon IAP on a standard Android device (as in not a Kindle product).

I installed the SDK Tester.apk, as well as put the amazon.sdktester.json file in the root of my device. I ran the SDK Tester app and checked the Logcat to make sure it was loading properly. Sure enough, it was running. In the log were lines stating that the .json file was successfully read.

Next I opened up my app (which was built for the Amazon app store through the simulator build window) and launched an IAP. No login or confirmation screen came up, nor did the SDK Tester catch the IAP, as it was not in the"Active Transactions" window.

Has anyone had any success in doing this? I don’t own a Kindle product, nor do I want to have to go out and get one if my current device can suffice.

From what I can tell, I have the proper files in place, but I could be wrong. What do you guys suggest?

Thank you for your time,

lKinx

Hi IKinx,

Can you post the output of logcat from your app when you try to make a purchase?

The SDK Tester should work on any android device and is not limited to Kindles.

-Preston

I just tried it again today and everything seems to be working. Perhaps the IAP were not in Amazon’s system yet, as it didn’t work for a few days after I first created the IAP.

I’m glad I got it to work!

Hi IKinx,

The SDK Tester does not contact Amazon services. This is the whole point, a developer is able to integrate and test without even signing up at developer.amazon.com or registering their app first.

In any case, I am glad you got it to work. I have seen cases where the SDK tester did not work until after a reboot of the phone and other interesting cases, so it’s possible you experienced a fluke.

Hi IKinx,

Can you post the output of logcat from your app when you try to make a purchase?

The SDK Tester should work on any android device and is not limited to Kindles.

-Preston

I just tried it again today and everything seems to be working. Perhaps the IAP were not in Amazon’s system yet, as it didn’t work for a few days after I first created the IAP.

I’m glad I got it to work!

Hi IKinx,

The SDK Tester does not contact Amazon services. This is the whole point, a developer is able to integrate and test without even signing up at developer.amazon.com or registering their app first.

In any case, I am glad you got it to work. I have seen cases where the SDK tester did not work until after a reboot of the phone and other interesting cases, so it’s possible you experienced a fluke.

Any help is appreciated…I am trying to test iapp without a kindle device at the moment.

Where do you get the SDK Tester.apk to load on an android phone?

You can build the “Amazon” android version and run it on an android phone?

thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick,

You can use the same SDK Tester apk to test on any android device. Have you tried it?

-Preston

Preston!

Thanks for writing, I have the developer account for Amazon but I cannot see how to get the tester files! I must be missing something obvious…any help is appreciated.

-Rick

Hi Rick,

Have you downloaded the Amazon Mobile SDK?

https://developer.amazon.com/public/resources/development-tools/sdk-thank-you

The Amazon SDK Tester is located at ./InAppPurchasing/tools/AmazonSDKTester.apk inside this zip distribution

-Preston

Thanks! Just what I needed…I appreciate the help.

Preston or anyone for that matter,

All is working quite well…as far as, debugging etc. My only issue is where on the android phone did you place the amazon.sdktester.json file? It seems pretty straightforward if I had a Kindle but alas, I don’t. :slight_smile:

thanks!

-Rick

Hi Rick,

Being Kindle or not should not affect this either. Per the documentation, place the file at ‘/mnt/sdcard/amazon.sdktester.json’.

This is the root of either your internal or external SD card, depending on your device.

-Preston

Hi Preston,

I just want to thank you for your help! I have everything finally working…much appreciated!

-Rick

Any help is appreciated…I am trying to test iapp without a kindle device at the moment.

Where do you get the SDK Tester.apk to load on an android phone?

You can build the “Amazon” android version and run it on an android phone?

thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick,

You can use the same SDK Tester apk to test on any android device. Have you tried it?

-Preston

Preston!

Thanks for writing, I have the developer account for Amazon but I cannot see how to get the tester files! I must be missing something obvious…any help is appreciated.

-Rick

Hi Rick,

Have you downloaded the Amazon Mobile SDK?

https://developer.amazon.com/public/resources/development-tools/sdk-thank-you

The Amazon SDK Tester is located at ./InAppPurchasing/tools/AmazonSDKTester.apk inside this zip distribution

-Preston

Thanks! Just what I needed…I appreciate the help.