Any eBook app create tutorial?

Hi, does anybody have or know any GREAT and CLEAR tutorial how to make and load to Google Play an eBook app made with Solar2D? Step by step, from the first line of code until the last screenshot of the installed app. Thanks for any links, except Corona API Docs, of course.

Your requirements are way too high. There are no such tutorials.

1 Like

Kwik is an extension of Adobe Photoshop. It generates lua and asset files without coding.

https://kwiksher.com/doc/

The tutorial covers mostly how to make an eBook app with Kwik for previewing it with Corona simulator. For loading app to your phone or deploying to app stores, you may need to look up documents of Solar2D, Apple or GooglePlay.

Kwik is maintained by me

6 Likes

@XeduR Hah! Well, the first tutorial of mine will be absolute beyond comparison.

@ymmtny Great, thanks for your support.

Were you asking because you wanted to know if there was competition in the space?

i.e. You wanted to make one, but needed to see if it was worth you time?

It sounded more like you wanted one so you could use it to make an app.

@roaminggamer, Corona is 10 years old. I want to read or watch a successful story about using a standard template:

If no any, that should be a very bad template, am I right? My purpose is making a clear tutorial for my students. Before making something, I must see what was done over the years to gather enough high-quality material for practicum. But I have a feeling that it is better to make something new, like Ymmtny’s Kwik.

@etaru

Ah, I see.

I’m afraid in the 8+ years I’ve been using Corona I have never used the ‘New Project’ tab.

I think the templates are all good, as very basic starting points. They are not and never were designed to get you right to a published project. I mean, you could publish any of them directly to the Google Play store I suppose, but what would be the point?

Also, while I see the attraction to using one of the ‘new project’ templates for a class. You might consider creating your own custom template for the class which you can give to your students.

I looked at the project created by ebook and it is OK. It has all the parts and it works. However, if I were teaching students and had a specific course curriculum in mind I think I’d want a template created by me and with specific sections/comments ready to go.

Lastly, if you don’t mind sharing your curriculum outline/goals here, you might be surprised. Some folks might actually volunteer to help you put together a template you can further modify and give to your students.

Most of the folks here are pretty dedicated to Corona/Solar 2D and seeing it used in the class is exciting for us.

PS - As far as success stories. Literally hundreds (if not thousands) of games and apps have been made with Corona SDK and published on: Google Play, iTunes Connect, Various android stores when they existed, Amazon Fire, Steam, Itch.io, and many HTML5 game sites. At one time, Corona’s team maintained a curated page dedicated to the ‘success stories’, but it got to be too much to maintain, both historically and ongoing.

I wish there were an (up-to-date) curated page still, but on short notice I found these:

2 Likes

I agree :laughing:

Out of curiosity, are you planning on teaching Solar2D in a school, and if so, then at what level? Elementary school, bachelors, etc? Or are you creating some online tutorial series for some website?

1 Like

Ok, as I understood, you are like an Ambassador of this SDK. It would be great to meet this community 8+ years ago… Alas, all links you gave are also interesting, however, they wasn’t exactly what I wanted. The difficulty is that tutorial must be targeted to the deaf-mutes or hearing impaired people who have lack of English language skills.

Those links were about prior success stories. I don’t know of any ready made tutorials in any engine/SDK that I am familiar with which does exactly what you need.

Still, I know if you can imagine it, it can be made with Solar 2D. So, I wish you good luck with creating your tutorials/lesson.

Be sure to post questions in the forums if you get stuck on technical or creative bits. There are a number of experienced folks here who could very well have some tidbit to help you get unstuck.