Any PCs with Windows 7 have problems running corona apps?

Just a quick question about the 2 desktop setups below. They should both be more than enough to run a corona-made game app right?

Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
Windows 7 prof x64

Alienware Aurora I7 cpu 920 @2.67 ghz

Memory: 9216 mb ram

1GB AMD radeon hd 5800 series

Windows 7

Those should be sufficiently powerful enough. Your video card needs to support OpenGL 2.1 or later.

Rob

@Jacques1,

What kinds of problems are you encountering?

You run a similar spec to me so no worries… I started Corona dev on way less spec.

It’s actually an issue 2 user have encountered so far in my game. 

At the very start of my game I have a shader that creates some multi-color lights moving over a static logo. I show this while loading in all the game’s .wav files.

I let the guys test the shader code directly in the shader.coronalabs.com site and they both had no problem running it so I doubt its something to do with the shader.

I don’t know if it has something to do with Steam’s overlay system? I don’t use that in my game but i see it is on by default in a users steam profile.

So basically the issue those guys have is that the game does not go any further than the logo screen. One time one of the guys managed to go past the logo into the game, but next time they could not.

I use the below timer.performwithdelay loops to load in all my sounds/music at the start of the game while the logo is showing, so not sure if its the right way to put the loading of .wav sounds. I originally did it this way to calculate a progress bar but it was never accurate so I don’t use a progress bar anymore. The below codes simply loads each sound and when finished goes to another function that does similar until it reaches the last .wav file to load then should go to the start game function (Which I assume is not happening for them, but once).

function loadSfx() print("loadSFX") local soundList={ {50,"dayturn.wav"}, {52,"scan.wav"}, {53,"warning.wav"}, {54,"waves.wav"}, {56,"waves3.wav"}, {58,"horn.wav"}, {60,"imhit.wav"}, {61,"bogey\_down.wav"}, {70,"generic\_button.wav"}, {71,"generic\_okay.wav"}, {72,"unlock\_gun.wav"}, {73,"unlock\_blade.wav"}, {75,"metal\_slide.wav"}, {76,"generic\_normal.wav"}, {203,"unlock\_crossbow.wav"}, {500,"hope.wav"}, {509,"scan2.wav"} } local timerCount=0;local timerMax=#soundList local function sfxloop() timerCount=timerCount+1 if sounds[soundList[timerCount][1]]==nil then sounds[soundList[timerCount][1]]=audio.loadSound( assetPath .. "sound/sfx/"..soundList[timerCount][2] ) end --14 sounds to load if progressbar then progressbar.x=progressbar.x+2 end if loadingrect then loadingrect.alpha=loadingrect.alpha+0.0042 end if timerCount==timerMax then soundList=nil;timerCount=nil;timerMax=nil loadMusic() else sfxlooptimer=timer.performWithDelay (1,sfxloop) end end sfxloop() -- end

In case any dev’s customers (running windows 7) are also experiencing a similar crash/hang on start up of their win32 app on Steam, one of our customers suggested selecting windows 7 compatibility from the app’s properties in the Steam console prior to launching the app. That appeared to resolve their crash for the customer who suggested it, but we have not received other confirmations regarding this solution.

Those should be sufficiently powerful enough. Your video card needs to support OpenGL 2.1 or later.

Rob

@Jacques1,

What kinds of problems are you encountering?

You run a similar spec to me so no worries… I started Corona dev on way less spec.

It’s actually an issue 2 user have encountered so far in my game. 

At the very start of my game I have a shader that creates some multi-color lights moving over a static logo. I show this while loading in all the game’s .wav files.

I let the guys test the shader code directly in the shader.coronalabs.com site and they both had no problem running it so I doubt its something to do with the shader.

I don’t know if it has something to do with Steam’s overlay system? I don’t use that in my game but i see it is on by default in a users steam profile.

So basically the issue those guys have is that the game does not go any further than the logo screen. One time one of the guys managed to go past the logo into the game, but next time they could not.

I use the below timer.performwithdelay loops to load in all my sounds/music at the start of the game while the logo is showing, so not sure if its the right way to put the loading of .wav sounds. I originally did it this way to calculate a progress bar but it was never accurate so I don’t use a progress bar anymore. The below codes simply loads each sound and when finished goes to another function that does similar until it reaches the last .wav file to load then should go to the start game function (Which I assume is not happening for them, but once).

function loadSfx() print("loadSFX") local soundList={ {50,"dayturn.wav"}, {52,"scan.wav"}, {53,"warning.wav"}, {54,"waves.wav"}, {56,"waves3.wav"}, {58,"horn.wav"}, {60,"imhit.wav"}, {61,"bogey\_down.wav"}, {70,"generic\_button.wav"}, {71,"generic\_okay.wav"}, {72,"unlock\_gun.wav"}, {73,"unlock\_blade.wav"}, {75,"metal\_slide.wav"}, {76,"generic\_normal.wav"}, {203,"unlock\_crossbow.wav"}, {500,"hope.wav"}, {509,"scan2.wav"} } local timerCount=0;local timerMax=#soundList local function sfxloop() timerCount=timerCount+1 if sounds[soundList[timerCount][1]]==nil then sounds[soundList[timerCount][1]]=audio.loadSound( assetPath .. "sound/sfx/"..soundList[timerCount][2] ) end --14 sounds to load if progressbar then progressbar.x=progressbar.x+2 end if loadingrect then loadingrect.alpha=loadingrect.alpha+0.0042 end if timerCount==timerMax then soundList=nil;timerCount=nil;timerMax=nil loadMusic() else sfxlooptimer=timer.performWithDelay (1,sfxloop) end end sfxloop() -- end

In case any dev’s customers (running windows 7) are also experiencing a similar crash/hang on start up of their win32 app on Steam, one of our customers suggested selecting windows 7 compatibility from the app’s properties in the Steam console prior to launching the app. That appeared to resolve their crash for the customer who suggested it, but we have not received other confirmations regarding this solution.