Any way to load a Vungle ad and NOT show it right away?

The documentation seems a bit unclear what happens after init() is called…  it seems as though you have to call show() to load an ad.  I’d like to have a button become available only if the ad is cached and loaded, but can’t seem to find any documentation on the right way to load an ad into the background.

With AppLovin for iOS this does seem possible, just not Vungle…

Negative.  AFAIK you cannot manually preload Vungle ads.

However, the docs for this function say that Vungle preloads… so you may simply need to verify before trying to show an ad.

https://docs.coronalabs.com/daily/plugin/vungle/isAdAvailable.html

In my own usage, I simply make sure to initialize/configure the Vungle network long before I first use it.  After that, I rely on it to either preload automatically or load quickly.  

This is why, showing launch ads w/ Vungle mostly fails on the first run of an app, but works on subsequent runs.

-Ed

Hey Ed, thanks for the help!  That makes sense that it starts to download right away on init…  I can then simply test for isAdAvailable and show the button when one is ready.

When one is shown via ads.show(), is another one then loaded and cached?  How often does the plugin download new ads?  

Seems like with AppLovin, it’s much easier to build a flow where you load one, then test for availability and show it.  When it’s closed/hidden, then load another and repeat the process.

Nate

I haven’t done a quantified study of the performance characteristics of Vungle.  Also most of my data comes from Vungle in test mode which may behave differently than production mode.  i.e. If I were Vungle I’d deliver one ad in debug mode and use it over and over.

Whereas, I do suspect that production mode:

• caches on init (but not that fast, so beware using Vungle for launch ads if you want an ad on the first App run)
  • requests a new ad after showing an ad. 

Tip : Even though AppLovin is easier to work with than Vungle (I agree wholeheartedly)  it’s all about $.  (No I don’t know how they compare today, or even in recent history.)

Good points…  thanks Ed.  From what I’ve found out it seems as though the Vungle plugin is getting new ads when it needs.  I’ve got AppLovin also so if one fails, the other one should be there.  Thanks for your help.

Negative.  AFAIK you cannot manually preload Vungle ads.

However, the docs for this function say that Vungle preloads… so you may simply need to verify before trying to show an ad.

https://docs.coronalabs.com/daily/plugin/vungle/isAdAvailable.html

In my own usage, I simply make sure to initialize/configure the Vungle network long before I first use it.  After that, I rely on it to either preload automatically or load quickly.  

This is why, showing launch ads w/ Vungle mostly fails on the first run of an app, but works on subsequent runs.

-Ed

Hey Ed, thanks for the help!  That makes sense that it starts to download right away on init…  I can then simply test for isAdAvailable and show the button when one is ready.

When one is shown via ads.show(), is another one then loaded and cached?  How often does the plugin download new ads?  

Seems like with AppLovin, it’s much easier to build a flow where you load one, then test for availability and show it.  When it’s closed/hidden, then load another and repeat the process.

Nate

I haven’t done a quantified study of the performance characteristics of Vungle.  Also most of my data comes from Vungle in test mode which may behave differently than production mode.  i.e. If I were Vungle I’d deliver one ad in debug mode and use it over and over.

Whereas, I do suspect that production mode:

• caches on init (but not that fast, so beware using Vungle for launch ads if you want an ad on the first App run)
  • requests a new ad after showing an ad. 

Tip : Even though AppLovin is easier to work with than Vungle (I agree wholeheartedly)  it’s all about $.  (No I don’t know how they compare today, or even in recent history.)

Good points…  thanks Ed.  From what I’ve found out it seems as though the Vungle plugin is getting new ads when it needs.  I’ve got AppLovin also so if one fails, the other one should be there.  Thanks for your help.