APK size Corona 2019 vs Solar 2020

For a long time I was working with an old Corona SDK, because newer versions cound not find base64 plugin. Fortunately, I found that coding/decoding base64 strings could be done just with a usage of a few really short functions.
Since base64 problem was solved, I updated the SDK to the latest Solar build… And for some reason the size of the apk got expanded by 4MB. It used to be 13MB. Is it normal?

Using 2020.3599. Tried building a simple project with only this in main.lua:
print "hello world

Final result is 11,3 MB. I remember some Corona builds were below that but I’m not sure if it was before 64-bit transition or not.

They must not be both 64bit…

I don’t know the internals but looking at the way it was announced back in the day, both files should be 64-bit.

(I was able to upload a whole new .apk this month so it must be 64-bit.)

The August 1 deadline for 64-bit support for new apps (updated apps have a year to implement).

As I understand APK is 32 bit, AAB is 64 and APK cannot be 64. It runs on my phone which is not 64b for sure.

I see. APK is both 32 & 64bit and it will run its 32bit-core on 32bit platfrorm and so on…
That is inside of the APK
AAB though has same folders :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey. You can remove all that other stuff and get back to your previous size. In your AndroidResources put file corona.gradle with single line in it:

android.defaultConfig.ndk.abiFilters "armeabi-v7a",  "arm64-v8a"

This will remove x86 and x64 symbols. You can also delete “armeabi-v7a” if you want even less. I am pretty sure at this point Google Play downloads only architecture which actual devices are running. But I can’t guarantee that.

2 Likes

Interesting info. I am sure for developing purposes some staff can be removed and added later when published.

You should be safe having only arm7/64 for submitting your app. Not much need for x86.

1 Like

Wow! It even shrinked to 11.9MB, was 13MB. Thanks.

I just found that this line prevents installing the app on Xiaomy Redmi Note 7, which is Kryo-based, not Arm-based.