App removed from Google Play for not showing video close button

One of our apps has been removed from Google Play because it allegedly violates the “Families ad format requirements”. Our app does not display 3rd party ads, it only offers a screen where users can view other apps of ours. Each of these apps offer a preview trailer video which we’ve implemented using media.playVideo.

In the rejection message it says: “Your app contains an ad creative that covers the majority of the screen without providing a clear way of dismissing the ad.”

The problem is that media.playVideo by default does not display a close button, and as far as I know there are no parameters we can tweak.

This is what we use:
media.playVideo( <URL>, media.RemoteSource, true )

Apparently the last parameter is used to show/hide the playback controls such as start, stop, seek etc. but it doesn’t affect the close button status.

Is there a way to show the close button using media.playVideo?

I also miss this in Solar2D, another time I needed to implement a youtube video as an embed in a webview, and there was no way to close the video, a solution is to wrap the video in a rectangle and in the rectangle put a button to remove the video from the screen.

@jdsmedeirosbr I think you can’t add a custom close button to media.playVideo as it covers the whole screen by default and it renders above of all objects. To add our own close button we should use native.newVideo which can be manipulated as an object (can be moved, scaled etc.).

in this case, when using media.playVideo, couldn’t you, for example, set it to cover the entire height and width of the screen, decreasing 10 pixels on each side? so you could put in these “borders” of 10 pixels, a button to remove the video from the scene

As far as I know there is no way to control how much space the media.playVideo occupies. It just covers the whole screen.

1 Like