App Signing for Desktop apps - considerations

I’m thinking about publish my games in Steam Store (maybe in Microsoft Store, Valve and Epic). I have visited DigiCert website and the price for a year of digital certificate is to expensive: $499 dollars. Can anyone here that have their apps published on Steam give me some advices regarding to this topic?

Hi, I still didn’t publish on Steam, but from what I know, they use their own launcher to install games, and that’s signed, so devs shouldn’t worry about it.

99% sure of this.

1 Like

Great! …Thanks a lot stefano

We’ve published a few on steam. For mac, they’ve got a straightforward notarization system.

On windows, you are only likely to run into issues with avast/avg (why are people still using these🤷‍♂️) and you can sign up for an account with them that allows you to upload your builds to them for them to make exceptions in their definitions.

Any other more complicated or expensive solution is really unnecessary with windows when distributing via steam

1 Like

Thank you @famousdoggstudios, and what about Valve, Microsoft or Epic Stores?

Hi @famousdoggstudios
I’m in the process of submitting one of my games to Steam, but I don’t know what kind of key should I request. Could you advise me?

Take a look at the image below:

Ad mentioned in the descriptions, the override keys are for previews and pre-launch reviews. It will grant access to the game to anyone with key even if you havent released a build to public.

The default release key is the released and publicly available version on steam. To grant access to this version for free or through a non-steam channel, you will need these keys. These are the one you’d probably need in highest quantities of you are looking at other distribution channels

1 Like

Thank you … I assumed that, but among the defaults, I don’t know if I should select “Digital Store” or “Retail Store”

Digital Store is the safest option though it really doesnt matter. You can really use those keys however you want as long as you are not in outright violation of steam rules

Thanks a lot