Apple working after next iOS upgrade

I know no one can see into the future. But does anyone have odds on whether apps will continue to work after apple pushes out their next release? 70/30? 80/20? I believe this is all openGL related. How hard is it to move solar2d to metal?

T

1 Like

This has come up many times. Worse comes to worse, I have option be in my pocket: Google Angle. Especially since the source code already has an implementation of it (used for the Windows phone) and I did a quick test to make sure it worked. Not sure what the official solution will be.

I am glad you have a plan. That is good to know. I was just trying to get a gauge of the odds Apple is going to break us.

I think it is very low. They would kill a bunch of games and usually they give ample warning.

Is the fact that Apple deprecated “OpenGL for iOS” 2 years ago a hint that sometime this year, in 2020, our Corona apps may stop working?

Like @agramonte already said, it is in Apple’s best interest to let developers know welll ahead of time specifically when they will remove OpenGL ES entirely. Sure, they stated that OpenGL ES was deprecated, but that by itself doesn’t yet mean anything beyond the fact that they plan to remove it.

Just suddenly stating that “OpenGL ES will be remove from all iOS devices two weeks after this announcement” would do Apple more harm than good. I’d be surprised if OpenGL ES was removed entirely in the next major OS version. My money is on the one after that.

1 Like