Apps crashing on iOS 12, 14 etc.

Tried testing some builds on an old iphone running ios 12 after some months and all apps (including demo programs) are crashing when built with XCode 15 through Solar2D.

There aren’t any proper symbolicated logs that I can see in device logs for this but the same builds are working without any issues on iOS 15 and 16.

On older iOS versions, they app crashes constantly as soon as it’s launched.

Has anyone else experienced this or otherwise, can someone test their app on lower iOS versions to see if they face this problem too?

EDIT- some other users have reported similar when using xcode 15. Seems like something to do with how linking is managed with the newer versions. Some suggested solutions involve adding some flags before building but I’m not sure how this can be implemented for solar2d App Crashs with IOS 12 with XCODE … | Apple Developer Forums

@vlads is there a possibility to specify flags for solar2d builds on xcode 15? The problem I’ve described above is apparently quite common and so far the only solution I’ve come across is to add the below into Xcode:

Targets -> Build Settings -> Linking General -> Other Linker Flags
Add:
-ld_classic

@Scott_Harrison Just wanted to check if you;d know how linker flags can be customised? I am pretty sure all users will run into this issue when deploying their app to iOS 12 once they move to XCode 15 (which they will have to sooner or later).

I think I might be having some players with this issue as well but I’m confirming.

They seem to be on older iOS versions and it crashes upon launch just like you said.

I’m still waiting to hear back from these players which iOS version they’re using.

if you really want to try it out you can, run this command, then put following file in opened directory:
data.tgz (423 Bytes)

mkdir -p ~/Solar2DPlugins/test/test/iphone
open ~/Solar2DPlugins/test/test/iphone

then add ["test"] = {publisherId = "test"}, entry to your plugin build settings and it will asked linker flag to your build. You can verify it in the log by enabling but running this command and searching for ld_classic in output.

1 Like

Appears to fix things on my personal iOS 12. Will push a testflight build to some users and get some feedback but I do reckon this fixes it.

I can confirm that my iOS 12 players are also getting this crash. I haven’t had a chance to try the above fix yet.