Are Android sales really this bad?

I ported my game Ball Frenzy to Android and since releasing it, there has only been 2 downloads. Does this sound normal or a sign that there is a problem preventing people downloading. I must confess I haven’t done any marketing for the game however the iPhone version is getting downloads every day. [import]uid: 7863 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 310072[/import]

I have a feeling that Android attracts a more tech userbase, that would rather hack their phones with Arduino microcontrollers and customize their launcher than dink around with kid games. That’s certainly the case with me ; )

Whereas iPhone attracts a more casual gaming userbase who would rather pluck away at Angry Birds & Bubble Popping games on the metro.

I’ve also released a kid-centric app that has quadrupled sales on iOS in a quarter of the time that it’s been on Android. [import]uid: 4596 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36811[/import]

Hehe thanks for the reply.

Shame really as the game plays very well on the Android device.

I guess in that case there would be no advantage in making the game free on Android as sounds like there would still be little interest.

Cheers

Paul [import]uid: 7863 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36813[/import]

It’s worth trying. I am trying to get the admob webpopup to work, so that I can release an ad supported version on Android, to see how that does.

Unfortunately I’m not having any luck getting the admob webpopup examples to work yet. [import]uid: 4596 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36814[/import]

Didn’t realise admob worked on Android - though from the sounds of things perhaps it doesn’t:) [import]uid: 7863 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36816[/import]

admob for android isn’t directly supported by Corona, but some have gotten it to work with webpopups. I have had 0 success, and have given up. Will look at other options for a free demo version. [import]uid: 4596 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36819[/import]

As you can see from an article earlier this year, Android app sales are very low compared to IOS despite a huge increase in handset sales.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/21/861-5-percent-growth-android-puny/

I think the consensus is that many people buy an android phone with no intentions of doing anything except making phone calls. They buy a low end android which is probably offered free on a contract and probably have no data plan. This increases their handset sales but unfortunately doesn’t result in a new potential customer for developers.

In case you were wondering, this means last year the android market pulled in less than 6% of what the Apple app store did. [import]uid: 31262 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36821[/import]

I think another thing that can affect downloads is the permissions requested by your app. Some will decline installation if your game requests internet permissions, thinking “why should this simple pool game require internet permissions?”.

Whether or not I set INTERNET permissions in build.settings, my android builds show the INTERNET permission when uploaded to the Android market… [import]uid: 4596 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36829[/import]

Sounds like after paying for the android developer license, test handsets, Corona Android license and any other fees it may take a bit of work to recoup your investment? [import]uid: 31262 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36838[/import]

I would recommend making a free version of the app. People like to try before they buy! [import]uid: 29181 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36847[/import]

@aaaron

Investment already recouped = ) [import]uid: 4596 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36852[/import]

I love the fact that I can do cross-platform development with Corona SDK but after thinking about it, I’ve decided not to do Android builds for my games.

Not right off the bat, anyway. Instead, I’ll wait and see if one of them “hits” on iOS and if that happens, then look at expanding the reach of the game with an Android version.

If it’s not a hit on iOS I doubt it would become a hit on Android. That’s the way I see it right now.

Jay [import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36869[/import]

Thanks for all the replies. It only took a couple of hours to port to Android so not a huge investment of time. Just weird that there were 2 downloads on day it was released (12 May) and none since. [import]uid: 7863 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36920[/import]

So far my game that I ported to Android has only had about 60 downloads of the ‘Lite’ (free) version, of which 3 people left 4 - 5 star ratings.

My paid version which I put up for a measly $1 has had exactly 0 downloads…

I think its definately due to the culture of the typical Android user, and i seriously doubt it’s something that will change any time soon.

I guess I’m happy there are people in the world enjoying my game, but it also doesn’t help make back the $25 I paid Google to publish - although I had never expected to make any money from the Android market but since it only took me about 2 days to port my game I guess I don’t care too much.

maybe some day but for now I still have to keep plugging away at the 9 - 5 job to pay the bills… [import]uid: 9428 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36926[/import]

Crikey - that is absolutely mad that 0 people have bought your game! And even more crazy that only 60 people in the entire world have downloaded the free version.

It is hardly worth the effort offering Android versions of our games if nobody is interested. [import]uid: 7863 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36930[/import]

I said earlier I wouldn’t be doing any Android ports for the foreseeable future, but I might make one exception – as soon as I get the “go ahead” I think I’ll create versions for the Nook Color.

Yes, it’s an Android device, but it’s not marketed that way. I think in general it’s going to a very different crowd than those who are buying Galaxy Tab, Xoom, etc.

Of course, if I create one for the Nook Color, doesn’t that mean I just created one for Android devices in general? Hmmm…

Jay
[import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36931[/import]

@singh206 Glad to hear you are in the green!

I am nowhere near publishing however when I am I would need to buy an android handset to test on. This significantly increases the amount I need to recoup.

How much on average would I have to spend to buy an android phone which is suitable to test apps on? I wish it was as easy as the iPhone, 1 handset no confusion. [import]uid: 31262 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36954[/import]

I bought a HTC Desire off Ebay and paid about £100 (UK Pounds) and the phone seems great for testing - feels like something between an iPhone 3G and iPhone 4. I have not owned an iPhone 3GS so not sure how that compares. It is just the standard HTC Desire - not the S model or the HD one. I didn’t really have a clue what to buy but a well respected member of the Corona forum had previously recommended the HTC Desire:) [import]uid: 7863 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36958[/import]

Guys, its because you advertising your products wrong. I have two apps on the android market which have above 5000 downloads. The trick is, put meta names in the bottom of the description. When someone searchs for angry birds, it would find your app since it has angry birds in the discription. Also put stuff on youtube, facebook, twitter, and other sites (like androidlib) so people can find your app. You also have to make apps with trending topics (like an Osama Bin Laden app?) Those will get you 1000’s of downloads just because people search for it. Searching on the android market is the most widely used tool, so make your apps on the grid. [import]uid: 29181 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36963[/import]

@aaron

I use a Nexus One & Iconia Tab for personal use, so didn’t consider them a cost of development. Just love em.

I think the number of test devices might depend on the complexity of your app. Most games that don’t tap into various hardware dependencies are probably just fine with a single dev device. If you’re using hardware dependencies that may vary between devices like camera, GPS, etc, make sure to check inside your code whether that service is available. When I was using AIR this was done by checking booleans for specific hardware availability. And on top of that you’d write for fault cases where something doesn’t behave as expected.

It’s very similar to web-dev imo, where screen dimensions & features vary per user based on what they’re using to access your content.

All that said, I love the Android platform for personal use ( not much of a casual gamer, but loving Dungeon Defender ), but iOS sales are doing much better! [import]uid: 4596 topic_id: 10072 reply_id: 36964[/import]