Automated character jumping, Need Help

I wanted to create a game in which a character will automatically jump upwards  but i couldn’t find anything which would help me to make my character  jump automatically,
can anyone of the corona community help me ? i need my character to jump automatically 

Good morning and welcome to the Corona Forums!

The question you have asked is kinda vague. There should be some reason you want your character to jump.  Is it supposed to jump over obstacles automatically? Is it supposed to jump randomly?  Every 100 pixels?

Are you using a sprite sheet that has a jump animation?  Or is it just a fixed image that should move up periodically?

Are you using Physics or some other way to move your character around?

These are important questions to describe so the community has the best chance to help you.

Rob

Sorry for not giving the details, this is my first time in corona forums
in my game. my character will stand still while he is on the ground but when the player makes him jump upwards as he touches the paddles which will be placed up, he will automatically start jumping till the game is over, i need this kind of automation

That helps a little bit, but it sounds like a screen press will start jumping, but what are the rules for continuing to jump?

Rob

a screen press will start jumping, yes. the char will climb the paddles which will be in a endless scrolling background.
rules are simple if character fails to jump to the next paddle or touches a certain object . the game will end.
can you help me to achieve this sir?

character will start jumping automatically. The player will just determine which direction should he jump with a swipe

Again, it goes back to the questions I asked above. Are you using physics? Should they jump in an arc? Jump straight up? Should the character fall if it misses a paddle?

If you’re using physics, you would likely use the applyLinearImpulse(). When you detect the collision with the paddle, apply another impulse which will push the object in the direction you want.

Rob

yes using physics, jump straight up, yes fall if they miss the paddle, 
And can the previous paddle disappear?  and thanks for the linear impulse advice

You would need to keep track of the paddles and remove any that are no longer available to land on. Another thing you might want to consider, is when a paddle is no longer eligible to be landed on but you want to keep it on screen until it falls away, remove it from your bodies that can be collided with. Then once it’s off screen, do a display.remove() on the paddle.

Rob

Good morning and welcome to the Corona Forums!

The question you have asked is kinda vague. There should be some reason you want your character to jump.  Is it supposed to jump over obstacles automatically? Is it supposed to jump randomly?  Every 100 pixels?

Are you using a sprite sheet that has a jump animation?  Or is it just a fixed image that should move up periodically?

Are you using Physics or some other way to move your character around?

These are important questions to describe so the community has the best chance to help you.

Rob

Sorry for not giving the details, this is my first time in corona forums
in my game. my character will stand still while he is on the ground but when the player makes him jump upwards as he touches the paddles which will be placed up, he will automatically start jumping till the game is over, i need this kind of automation

That helps a little bit, but it sounds like a screen press will start jumping, but what are the rules for continuing to jump?

Rob

a screen press will start jumping, yes. the char will climb the paddles which will be in a endless scrolling background.
rules are simple if character fails to jump to the next paddle or touches a certain object . the game will end.
can you help me to achieve this sir?

character will start jumping automatically. The player will just determine which direction should he jump with a swipe

Again, it goes back to the questions I asked above. Are you using physics? Should they jump in an arc? Jump straight up? Should the character fall if it misses a paddle?

If you’re using physics, you would likely use the applyLinearImpulse(). When you detect the collision with the paddle, apply another impulse which will push the object in the direction you want.

Rob

yes using physics, jump straight up, yes fall if they miss the paddle, 
And can the previous paddle disappear?  and thanks for the linear impulse advice

You would need to keep track of the paddles and remove any that are no longer available to land on. Another thing you might want to consider, is when a paddle is no longer eligible to be landed on but you want to keep it on screen until it falls away, remove it from your bodies that can be collided with. Then once it’s off screen, do a display.remove() on the paddle.

Rob