Automatically send email without popup

Hi,

Is there any way I can get an app to send an email without having to hit ‘send’ on a popup?

Background:

I’ve been asked if I can develop an in-house app that is to be used on a sim-less android device.

The user enters a job number then takes a number of photos which are named for the job number plus an incremental suffix.  so if the job number was 123456, the photos would be 123456-1, 123456-2 etc.

When the user returns to base and the device connects to the wireless network it will then send an email for each job with the photos attached.

Each user will have multiple jobs and the powers that be would prefer that it happens by itself rather than the user having to sit there pressing a button multiple times.

Cheers guys.

Your best bet is to create a web script with PHP or something similar and have your app connect to the script, upload the files, and have the PHP script send the email.  

Rob

Ah poop. 
If that’s the case they may as well set up a server and just upload the pics directly which they didn’t want to do hence using email.

Oh well, will let them know and see what they say.

Thanks for the info Rob.

The other option is to code your own socket connection to an SMTP server and send the messages that way. There is a lot to know about SMTP and socket connectivity if you go this route.

Phones are designed to not do things what the user doesn’t know about. If they allowed automatic sending of emails at an API level can you imagine the number of new spam devices on the Internet?

Rob

Yeah totally.  

Just as an idea, does the network api support FTP/SFTP connections?

[edit]  I’m guessing not as I can’t find any mention of it in the docs.

Your best bet is to create a web script with PHP or something similar and have your app connect to the script, upload the files, and have the PHP script send the email.  

Rob

Ah poop. 
If that’s the case they may as well set up a server and just upload the pics directly which they didn’t want to do hence using email.

Oh well, will let them know and see what they say.

Thanks for the info Rob.

The other option is to code your own socket connection to an SMTP server and send the messages that way. There is a lot to know about SMTP and socket connectivity if you go this route.

Phones are designed to not do things what the user doesn’t know about. If they allowed automatic sending of emails at an API level can you imagine the number of new spam devices on the Internet?

Rob

Yeah totally.  

Just as an idea, does the network api support FTP/SFTP connections?

[edit]  I’m guessing not as I can’t find any mention of it in the docs.