Black screen on device

Hello,

what we doing worng?

We building it as instructed, but on device we got a black screen. How to find what is failing?

we tryed to build&run simple example - and it worked fine. But our game is not.

here is our xop - https://www.dropbox.com/s/oijeeq09frl3hts/tomoon.xap?dl=0

These sorts of issues (where a project runs fine in the simulator, but not on device) are almost always related to case-sensitivity with file names. The simulator doesn’t care if you don’t get the capitalization right for files, but devices do. This is not really a Corona thing, but related to the underlying OS. There have been some workarounds designed to help point out incorrect capitalization (I know that Ed Maurina a.k.a. “Roaming Gamer” has a tool), and a thorough search of the Forums should allow you to find help. But start by looking into your file names for scenes, images, etc. - if I were a betting man I’d wager that a capitalization error is the cause of this problem. Good luck!

In this case, it’s definitely *not* a case sensitivity issue.  This is because the WP8 file system is *not* case sensitive, just like the Windows file system.

@efgames.net, I recommend that you have a look at the Visual Studio’s “Output” panel while debugging your app.  It should provide clues as to why your app is not running.  Odds are there is a Lua runtime error happening somewhere in your code on startup.  It’s most likely caused by your app using a feature Corona does not support on WP8… or… not all of your Corona project files are flagged as “Content” in Visual Studio and they’re being excluded from your *.xap application bundle.

In case you haven’t seen it, we do have a “Porting Guide” that should help you out.  Note that in the first section, it shows you how to flag all files as “Content” to ensure that they’re included with your *.xap file and a screenshot to show you where this setting is within Visual Studio.

https://docs.coronalabs.com/daily/coronacards/wp8/portapp.html

@Joshua, thanks for the correction - I didn’t realize that WP8 wasn’t case-sensitive. Good to know! Sorry for the mis-applied advice. Good luck, @efgames!

There was no error at VS output. But, via try&error path - we found our problem - calling gameNetwork and Analytics(Flurry) was failing. We removed them, and now everything works.

We should expect that ofc - but it was first attempt - so 3 more games we now uploading to WinStore =)

Great!  Glad you figured it out.  :slight_smile:

One more thing.  I’m surprised you didn’t see nay errors in the Visual Studio “Output” panel, because something like this would definitely get logged to it, along with which Lua file and line number it occurred on.  ***But*** you’ll only debugging/logging info in the “Output” panel if you run/debug your app via Visual Studio’s [>] button on the toolbar, which installs your app on the device and connects the debugger to it.

Oh, ok. We dont have device, we were sending build to other guy with device =)

Windows phone here is rare thing.

Ahh… gotcha.  :slight_smile:

You can also debug your app via Microsoft’s WP8 emulator as well.  You just have to build your app for “Debug|x86” as shown here…

https://docs.coronalabs.com/daily/coronacards/wp8/build.html#building-for-the-emulator

Just note that the WP8 emulator is very slow when rendering Direct3D driven apps, such as games.

These sorts of issues (where a project runs fine in the simulator, but not on device) are almost always related to case-sensitivity with file names. The simulator doesn’t care if you don’t get the capitalization right for files, but devices do. This is not really a Corona thing, but related to the underlying OS. There have been some workarounds designed to help point out incorrect capitalization (I know that Ed Maurina a.k.a. “Roaming Gamer” has a tool), and a thorough search of the Forums should allow you to find help. But start by looking into your file names for scenes, images, etc. - if I were a betting man I’d wager that a capitalization error is the cause of this problem. Good luck!

In this case, it’s definitely *not* a case sensitivity issue.  This is because the WP8 file system is *not* case sensitive, just like the Windows file system.

@efgames.net, I recommend that you have a look at the Visual Studio’s “Output” panel while debugging your app.  It should provide clues as to why your app is not running.  Odds are there is a Lua runtime error happening somewhere in your code on startup.  It’s most likely caused by your app using a feature Corona does not support on WP8… or… not all of your Corona project files are flagged as “Content” in Visual Studio and they’re being excluded from your *.xap application bundle.

In case you haven’t seen it, we do have a “Porting Guide” that should help you out.  Note that in the first section, it shows you how to flag all files as “Content” to ensure that they’re included with your *.xap file and a screenshot to show you where this setting is within Visual Studio.

https://docs.coronalabs.com/daily/coronacards/wp8/portapp.html

@Joshua, thanks for the correction - I didn’t realize that WP8 wasn’t case-sensitive. Good to know! Sorry for the mis-applied advice. Good luck, @efgames!

There was no error at VS output. But, via try&error path - we found our problem - calling gameNetwork and Analytics(Flurry) was failing. We removed them, and now everything works.

We should expect that ofc - but it was first attempt - so 3 more games we now uploading to WinStore =)

Great!  Glad you figured it out.  :slight_smile:

One more thing.  I’m surprised you didn’t see nay errors in the Visual Studio “Output” panel, because something like this would definitely get logged to it, along with which Lua file and line number it occurred on.  ***But*** you’ll only debugging/logging info in the “Output” panel if you run/debug your app via Visual Studio’s [>] button on the toolbar, which installs your app on the device and connects the debugger to it.

Oh, ok. We dont have device, we were sending build to other guy with device =)

Windows phone here is rare thing.

Ahh… gotcha.  :slight_smile:

You can also debug your app via Microsoft’s WP8 emulator as well.  You just have to build your app for “Debug|x86” as shown here…

https://docs.coronalabs.com/daily/coronacards/wp8/build.html#building-for-the-emulator

Just note that the WP8 emulator is very slow when rendering Direct3D driven apps, such as games.