Black screen

Hi, 

My app has worked fine a couple of days ago, now it only displays the Corona splash screen followed by eternal blackness. I made some changes to it since then but can’t see anything that would cause an invisible error. 

It happens exclusively in a live build. The app works fine as a non-live build, and has no issues in the simulator. 

No errors on logcat or console. 

Any ideas?

I’m using the newest daily build on Windows.

Thank you for reporting this issue. I would need more information to help you with this, like:

• what build are you using?

• does “hello world” sample works for you in live build?

• Does it work on latest daily build, or, say 2017.3059?

• Did you add any plugins over last couple days?

• Would it be possible to zip your app and PM it to (using DropBox or Google Drive, etc) me so I can investigate the issue?

Thank you for your interest.

I’m using build 2017.3064. The issue ocurred when I was still using a previous build (I don’t remember, perhaps two or three weeks old?). Updating Corona and recompiling the *.apk (forgot to mention: i’m using the Windows version of Corona and compiling for Android) didn’t affect the issue. Also at first the app did work with the previous build.

The project in question uses Facebook v4, the new Admob, the Parse plugin and some smaller *.lua modules but they all had worked fine before the black-screen problem and I didn’t add any new ones.

I’ll first double check if it’s not some obvious mistake on my side, and see if it works with the “hello world” sample. Then if it’s still the same I will send you the project to investigate.

Okay. The problem is gone. 

I think it had to do with the way Android manages multiple user accounts. 

I had the app installed additionally on another user account (for some user interaction testing) which apparently messed with the live build. Once I hit “uninstall for all users” it and reinstalled on the primary account, it immediately started working again.

I don’t know what was the exact issue but it I’m guessing when Corona Server refreshes the app it may lead to some sort of a conflict with the one installed on another account. In contrast, when a non-live build is installed Android updates the app for ALL users, so it works.

Thanks. This would be interesting issue to look into later! Glad you got it working. 

Thank you for reporting this issue. I would need more information to help you with this, like:

• what build are you using?

• does “hello world” sample works for you in live build?

• Does it work on latest daily build, or, say 2017.3059?

• Did you add any plugins over last couple days?

• Would it be possible to zip your app and PM it to (using DropBox or Google Drive, etc) me so I can investigate the issue?

Thank you for your interest.

I’m using build 2017.3064. The issue ocurred when I was still using a previous build (I don’t remember, perhaps two or three weeks old?). Updating Corona and recompiling the *.apk (forgot to mention: i’m using the Windows version of Corona and compiling for Android) didn’t affect the issue. Also at first the app did work with the previous build.

The project in question uses Facebook v4, the new Admob, the Parse plugin and some smaller *.lua modules but they all had worked fine before the black-screen problem and I didn’t add any new ones.

I’ll first double check if it’s not some obvious mistake on my side, and see if it works with the “hello world” sample. Then if it’s still the same I will send you the project to investigate.

Okay. The problem is gone. 

I think it had to do with the way Android manages multiple user accounts. 

I had the app installed additionally on another user account (for some user interaction testing) which apparently messed with the live build. Once I hit “uninstall for all users” it and reinstalled on the primary account, it immediately started working again.

I don’t know what was the exact issue but it I’m guessing when Corona Server refreshes the app it may lead to some sort of a conflict with the one installed on another account. In contrast, when a non-live build is installed Android updates the app for ALL users, so it works.

Thanks. This would be interesting issue to look into later! Glad you got it working.