Build 3160 - Problem with old particleEffect library using Coat

For the past 3 years we’ve been using an old community particle effects library that uses a library called Coat as dependency.

Recently, in build 3160, an error entered to both Windows and Mac simulators when calling Coat. The actual error is:

Coat.lua:66: Overwrite definition of method rotation 07:12:19.813 stack traceback: 07:12:19.813 [C]: in function 'basic\_error' 07:12:19.813 C:\Dev\Mobile\Projects\DinoPreSchool\src\Coat.lua:66: in function 'error' 07:12:19.813 C:\Dev\Mobile\Projects\DinoPreSchool\src\Coat.lua:409: in function 'has' 07:12:19.813 C:\Dev\Mobile\Projects\DinoPreSchool\src\Coat.lua:889: in function \<C:\Dev\Mobile\Projects\DinoPreSchool\src\Coat.lua:889\> 07:12:19.813 C:\Dev\Mobile\Projects\DinoPreSchool\src\classes\Emitter.lua:14: in main chunk 07:12:19.813 [C]: in function 'require' 07:12:19.813 ?: in function 'require' 07:12:19.813 C:\Dev\Mobile\Projects\DinoPreSchool\src\classes\ParticleSugar.lua:11: in main chunk 07:12:19.813 [C]: in function 'require' 07:12:19.813 ?: in function 'require' 07:12:19.813 C:\Dev\Mobile\Projects\DinoPreSchool\src\particleEffect.lua:8: in main chunk 07:12:19.813 [C]: in function 'require' 07:12:19.813 ?: in function 'require'

The problem only appeared starting from build 3160. I’ve checked all builds from 3156 onward and only starting from 3160 we begin seeing this behavior. It impacts heavily on our ability to work as it breaks the code and stops simulation on game load.

Also, currently, it seems the problem only appears on the simulators but not on iOS devices.

I think that perhaps someone entered a new method at the core of Corona engine which may conflict with Coat somehow.

Can someone from Corona team get back to us with more info about what entered the simulators on that build?

anyone from Corona team?

Hi @rune7.  First, you’re using a third-party library that we have no experience with and have no way to provide support for. You should look at Coat.lua line 66 and see what’s going on. Put in some debug print statements to find out what “rotation” is at that point. I looked at the check-ins for 3160 and they both revolve around changes to simulator skins. We’ve not touched anything with rotation in a long time.

Rob

Hi @Rob,

Yeh, I know this sounds strange but I’ve spend quite a good deal of time trying to figure out where this issue came from. I will provide a test app for your team to check. If it was a new code I wouldn’t bother you with it but this product has been working flawlessly for the past 3 years with recent submissions to Apple in the last month so the error crept up very recently. I doubt the issue is actually about rotation. this is probably a symptom to something else that entered. without your sources I can’t really tell.

Adi

anyone from Corona team?

Hi @rune7.  First, you’re using a third-party library that we have no experience with and have no way to provide support for. You should look at Coat.lua line 66 and see what’s going on. Put in some debug print statements to find out what “rotation” is at that point. I looked at the check-ins for 3160 and they both revolve around changes to simulator skins. We’ve not touched anything with rotation in a long time.

Rob

Hi @Rob,

Yeh, I know this sounds strange but I’ve spend quite a good deal of time trying to figure out where this issue came from. I will provide a test app for your team to check. If it was a new code I wouldn’t bother you with it but this product has been working flawlessly for the past 3 years with recent submissions to Apple in the last month so the error crept up very recently. I doubt the issue is actually about rotation. this is probably a symptom to something else that entered. without your sources I can’t really tell.

Adi