Build error - Is server down ?

Hi, 

I have problem building my apps as well as the sample apps. Error as per attached. Any help on this is appreciated. 

Thank you

mok

What version of Corona are you using?

Hi Rob,

I’m still using the old version 2013.1137(2013.6.7). Able to publish last month.

That version is over 6 years old. I’m almost certain that we can’t support build that old.

Rob

If that’s the case … How am i able to publish last month using the old version ? Any advice on this and what should i do ? 

It should be obvious. Update Corona.

It could be that while they worked on the 64-bit builds they made some changes to the build servers and perhaps they removed some redundant code, maybe something that hasn’t been needed for ~6 years, and by doing so, they removed support for such old versions.

ok. I have downloaded update corona 2018.3326.

Now i can’t get my old hello world created for build 2013 to work in the new build of 2018.

I am not that good in coding and i have been using corona 2013 all this while for teaching students on basic and easy coding. 

I appreciate if someone can help me on these. I have coding done for corona 2013 for hello world, flipbook, listview and playlist. I will start off with hello world as follows :

local textObject = display.newText(“Hello World”,75,200,nil,100)

textObject:setTextColor (0,128,128)

local button = display.newImage(“button1.png”)

button.x = display.contentWidth / 2

button.y = display.contentHeight - 200

function button : tap(event)

local r = math.random(0,255)

local g = math.random(0,255)

local b = math.random(0,255)

textObject:setTextColor(r,g,b)

end

button:addEventListener(“tap”,button)

Really appreciate all the help i can get 

Thank you so much in advance

local textObject = display.newText(“Hello World”,75,200,nil,100)

textObject:setTextColor (0,128,128)

local button = display.newImage(“button1.png”)

button.x = display.contentWidth / 2

button.y = display.contentHeight - 200

function button : tap(event)

local r = math.random(0,255)

local g = math.random(0,255)

local b = math.random(0,255)

textObject:setTextColor(r,g,b )

end

button:addEventListener(“tap”,button)

There is nothing wrong with the code you’ve provided. If there is a crash with the button, it is because it can’t find the “button1.png” image that you’ve specified. Also, if you do have some issues or you encounter some errors in your code, you should use the code formatting tools and specify where exactly the issue or error is, e.g. “the error I am encountering is on line 4.” and then show the code.

button:addEventListener("tap",button) local textObject = display.newText("Hello World",75,200,nil,100) textObject:setTextColor (0,128,128) local button = display.newImage("button1.png") button.x = display.contentWidth / 2 button.y = display.contentHeight - 200 function button : tap(event) local r = math.random(0,255) local g = math.random(0,255) local b = math.random(0,255) textObject:setTextColor(r,g,b ) end

Also, I don’t want to come across as mean, I am a lecturer myself, but should you be teaching programming to kids if you yourself can’t code well?

Thank you so much for your help. Yes agreed with your comments … the code has nothing wrong with it but its ok … i managed to solve the coding to fit into the new corona build 2018.  

I have a few more questions then I have some important information you need to know.

What platform are you building for? iOS or Android? I guess it’s possible that you’re building for desktops, though I don’t believe we supported desktop builds in a version that old.

What are you doing with the resulting .app, .ipa, or .apk file? Are you side loading it on a device? Uploading to Google Play or the App App Store (and if you’re doing either of those, it’s an absolute miracle that you’re able to as I will explain below).

So let’s start with one set of problems you’re likely going to run into. Build 2013.1137 is a “Graphics 1.0” version of Corona. When we released Graphics 2.0, we renumbered our builds to 2013.2000, which came out late in 2013.  

Going from Graphics 1 to Graphics 2 had a lot of breaking changes. All display objects default X, Y is now the center of the object. Reference Points were replaced with Anchors. All color setting is done with :setFillColor(). :setTextColor() was deprecated.

However we have really never removed full support for Graphics 1.0 and there is a setting you can put in your config.lua that will keep reference points working, cause objects to default to their previous X, Y positioning etc. But in the 6 years since we switched to Graphics 2.0, we’ve not attempted to maintain any Graphics 1.0 support.

This is where, if you switch to a new version of Corona, you may start running into problems with libraries and such. You mention “flipbook”. There is a forum post about that: https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/45800-flipbook-for-graphics-20/ I don’t know if it will be helpful. But other things like the Director class was never ported to Graphics 2.0. You mention “ListView” which I think may have been one of our first attempts to create a scrolling list widget. This is now done with the new widget library ,which is at least two major revisions past "ListView"s’s creation. Today, you would use a widget.newTableView(). I don’t know what “PlayList” is.

So converting to Graphics 2.0 isn’t that hard but it may be very hard to port those libraries…

Now to the publishing reality. I’m pretty sure you’re not using Corona on macOS to produce iOS builds because that version of Corona was built for iOS 6 at the latest, which is like Xcode 4. Today we are on iOS 12.4 and Xcode 10.3 and those won’t run unless you’re on macOS 10.12 or later. 10.12 didn’t exist in 2013. It came out in 2016. Apple pretty much requires you to stay up to date, which means staying up to date on Corona.

Now I’m pretty sure that some time between 2013 and 2018 Google has changed their requirements to publish to Google Play. They like to make changes too that cause us a lot of headaches to keep our customers, like you publishing to Google Play. So I have a high confidence that you’re not publishing your apps to Google Play either since every couple of years, they require supporting later versions of the Android SDK. We are currently going through a Google breaking change that requires not only Android SDK 28 (Android 9/Pie) support, but also requires 64-bit support. We’ve just started public beta’s on 64-bit support.

In all of this, we have made many, many changes to our build servers and if you’re been able to build with 2013.1137 you’re been lucky.  2018.3326 is also well over a year old at this point and it is not compatible with the current Google or Apple rules for submitting. You need to use the latest daily builds if you intend on publishing your app to either of those stores. I believe you probably can still publish to Amazon with 2018.3326.

Good luck with your migration.

Rob

Hi Rob,

2018.3326 still have error while publish to android even to amazon.

Can you guide me on updating into the new daily build ? 

Thank you

Hi Rob,

Let me give it a try 1st to download the latest build. 

Will get back to you if I encounter any errors.

Thanks again for being patience with me

:slight_smile:

There shouldn’t be much in the way of breaking changes in the Corona APIs between today’s daily and 2018.3326. Most of the places where things break are in building and plugins. You can get the latest daily build from scrolling to the top of the page and clicking on “Daily Builds” and get the top most version. After that any one here can help you. Rob

hi Rob, I’m Geeth. I have a small problem,read fix this…

why I can’t buid  ios on windows?

I’ looking forward…  .  ;)  :D 

:rolleyes: 

Hi Geeth and welcome to the wonderful world of Corona.

Our forums are organized by category and topic within Category. Your question has nothing to do with Build servers being down.

It is an Apple requirement that apps made for iOS, tvOS and macOS be built on Macs using tools from their development platform, Xcode. Xcode only runs on Macs. 

Rob

hi, rob .can you tell me what the mean of “return” in lua?

Please start a new topic Geeth. This topic is about build servers being down.

Rob

What version of Corona are you using?

Hi Rob,

I’m still using the old version 2013.1137(2013.6.7). Able to publish last month.