Can't load .data file when uploaded to web server

Hi,

I’ve uploaded a simple html5 project that loads fine locally when testing.

But once online (have tried on 2 different domains), I get the error:

Error: Not Found : http://www.[MY-DOMAIN.co.uk]/HTML5Test/HTML5Test.data Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) 

[MY-DOMAIN.co.uk] is replaced with the actual domain I’m accessing.

The .data file is definitely there - I can see it in my ftp programme and have tried uploading on multiple occasions. Other files are found no problem (the .bin file is loaded for example).

Anyone experienced this before or have any idea what the issue might be?

Thanks,

Ian

Can you get to the file directly? I.e. if you visit that URL in a web browser, does your browser try to download anything? Do the server access logs show anything?

Couple of notes that may be worth investigating:

• Unix is case sensitive, so if the file is actually in a htmltest directory rather than HTMLTest, Apache/nGinx won’t find it without something like the speling module being installed.

• If you’re using Apache, some Linux distributions ship weird default mime type set-ups so you may need to add a mime type for .data files before Apache knows how to serve. You can usually do this with htaccess files but it’s possible your hosting provider has disabled the functionality and would need to amend the config for you.

Other than that, it’s difficult to blindly investigate this one I’m afraid. It sounds like it’ll be a server config thing to me though, as opposed to a specifically Corona related issue.

Thanks for the reply… I asked the guys who run our server to add .data to the list of mime types and now it works perfectly.

Appreciate the help - thanks!

Can you get to the file directly? I.e. if you visit that URL in a web browser, does your browser try to download anything? Do the server access logs show anything?

Couple of notes that may be worth investigating:

• Unix is case sensitive, so if the file is actually in a htmltest directory rather than HTMLTest, Apache/nGinx won’t find it without something like the speling module being installed.

• If you’re using Apache, some Linux distributions ship weird default mime type set-ups so you may need to add a mime type for .data files before Apache knows how to serve. You can usually do this with htaccess files but it’s possible your hosting provider has disabled the functionality and would need to amend the config for you.

Other than that, it’s difficult to blindly investigate this one I’m afraid. It sounds like it’ll be a server config thing to me though, as opposed to a specifically Corona related issue.

Thanks for the reply… I asked the guys who run our server to add .data to the list of mime types and now it works perfectly.

Appreciate the help - thanks!