CBE 3.2 Changes

Hello, all! My development on CBE is slowly bringing things to version 3.2, and, as I’ve worked on it, I’ve bit the bullet and decided to change a number of things… In a non-backwards-compatible way. By reading this post and adopting practices you can, you’ll be able to avoid too much trouble when 3.2 comes out.

Here are the non-backwards-compatible changes:

• The “deprecated parameters slate” will be wiped; all deprecated parameters will cease to function as aliases

• The alias library functions will all be removed; instead of CBE.NewVentGroup or CBE.VentGroup, for example, you should use CBE.newVentGroup

• Graphics v1 compatibility may be dropped (if enough people tell me they need it, I’ll keep it, but I’m not sure if anyone uses it now that G2.0 has been out for so long)

• The module name will change from CBEffects.Library to CBE.CBE in keeping with my newer code style guidelines (this is a bonus because you technically don’t need to change anything in your program if you still use 3.1 and earlier)

• The parentGroup parameter and vent.content will be deprecated (still functional, but their use is discouraged) the vent will become a display group instead for better “Corona-izing” of the library

If I think of more changes, I’ll post them. I’m trying to do my part to keep CBE a modern engine and lean away from some not-so-good practices I used when I was younger and less experienced (Seriously. Most issues with CBE are because I wrote the initial version at 12.5 years of age. Not a problem most engines have :D.)

As always, thanks for supporting CBE!

• Caleb

Looking forward to this Caleb, and you’re an example to all, but especially new folks.  You’ve really done a bang up job on this since you started.

-Ed

Another change to watch for: All functions of objects will use a colon ( : ) instead of a dot ( . ) to call them. Previously, you could use either one, but 3.2 will change this to only allow vent:set() or fieldGroup:get() instead.

Also, particle._kill() will be renamed to particle:destroyParticle().

And thanks for the kind words, Ed. You’ve been supportive of this from the beginning :).

• Caleb

Sorry for continuing to add changed things, but a good overhaul will end up being a good thing. So…

Perhaps the biggest and least backwards-compatible change will be that the parameters ‘x’ and ‘y’ (which previously changed a vent’s emit point) will be renamed ‘emitX’ and ‘emitY’, because the vent is now a group and ‘x’ and ‘y’ are special properties in Corona. So any setting of a vent’s x and y will now have to be renamed to ‘emitX’ and ‘emitY’.

Again, 3.2 will change the module name to “CBE.CBE”, so you won’t need to adopt these new things if you’re nearly done with your project with 3.2 comes out. Like Corona’s Graphics 2.0, you should, however, start using 3.2 when it comes out and change the needed things if you’re just beginning or if CBE isn’t very integral to your game.

• Caleb

Ok, CBE is now officially live at 3.2! You can read a list of the changes from the repository. I also tagged 3.1.1, so you can still use it by going to the GitHub page, clicking “Releases”, then clicking 3.1.1.

• Caleb

hi, good job! it seems there’s still a call to _kill function in clean. hope may help…

Thanks for alerting me. Fixed.

• Caleb

Looking forward to this Caleb, and you’re an example to all, but especially new folks.  You’ve really done a bang up job on this since you started.

-Ed

Another change to watch for: All functions of objects will use a colon ( : ) instead of a dot ( . ) to call them. Previously, you could use either one, but 3.2 will change this to only allow vent:set() or fieldGroup:get() instead.

Also, particle._kill() will be renamed to particle:destroyParticle().

And thanks for the kind words, Ed. You’ve been supportive of this from the beginning :).

• Caleb

Sorry for continuing to add changed things, but a good overhaul will end up being a good thing. So…

Perhaps the biggest and least backwards-compatible change will be that the parameters ‘x’ and ‘y’ (which previously changed a vent’s emit point) will be renamed ‘emitX’ and ‘emitY’, because the vent is now a group and ‘x’ and ‘y’ are special properties in Corona. So any setting of a vent’s x and y will now have to be renamed to ‘emitX’ and ‘emitY’.

Again, 3.2 will change the module name to “CBE.CBE”, so you won’t need to adopt these new things if you’re nearly done with your project with 3.2 comes out. Like Corona’s Graphics 2.0, you should, however, start using 3.2 when it comes out and change the needed things if you’re just beginning or if CBE isn’t very integral to your game.

• Caleb

Ok, CBE is now officially live at 3.2! You can read a list of the changes from the repository. I also tagged 3.1.1, so you can still use it by going to the GitHub page, clicking “Releases”, then clicking 3.1.1.

• Caleb

hi, good job! it seems there’s still a call to _kill function in clean. hope may help…

Thanks for alerting me. Fixed.

• Caleb