CBE vent gives errors when game scene reloads

So I am using Dusk and CBE and I use CBE’s newVent as a death animation to all enemies.

I noticed that if the death animation is used when played and player dies comes error, BUT if I complete the level and death animation has happened NO error occurs. Odd thing is that when you die/complete level the scene just reloads using composer.gotoScene(“game”). So same scene removal happens on both events.

Here is the error:

[lua]

CBE\cbe_core\vent_core\core.lua:293: attempt to call method ‘insert’ (a nil value)

stack traceback:

?: in function <?:221>

[C]: in function ‘insert’

CBE\cbe_core\vent_core\core.lua:293: in function ‘_listener’

?: in function <?:167>

?: in function <?:221>

[/lua] 

And  this is my deathAnimation function:

[lua]

L.deathAnim = function(x,y)

local CBE = require(“CBE.CBE”)

local vent = CBE.newVent({

preset = “flame”,

positionType = “inRadius”,

color = {{0.1, 0.1, 0.1}, {0.2}, {0.3, 0.3, 0.3}},

particleProperties = {blendMode = “add”},

emitX = x,

emitY = y,

emissionNum = 1,

emitDelay = 0,

perEmit = 3,

inTime = 100,

lifeTime = 100,

outTime = 600,

physics = {

velocity = 0,

gravityY = 0,

angles = {0, 360},

},

onCreation = function(particle)

particle:changeColor({

--color = {0, 1, 0},

--time = 600

})

end,

})

local map = (require “map”).layer[“ground”]

map:insert(vent)

vent:start()

map=nil

end

[/lua]

Are you making sure to :destroy() the vent at some point?

• Caleb

No… I was thinking does vent remove itself when completed. Is there onComplete param for this?

I tried the onEmitEnd param to destroy the vent when completed… sadly I don’t know how to destroy vent with it :smiley:

A vent acts as a sort of particle bank. Each time you call :start(), it emits a certain number of particles for a certain amount of time. This means you have to destroy them at some point just as with most display objects:

vent:destroy()

You should destroy the vent before changing scenes.

• Caleb

How can I use the same vent and emit particles in multiple coordinates…? My deathAnim function now makes everytime a new vent. In this approach I need to use array for the vents to destroy them in loop before scene changes…

I might have understood the vent wrong, got it working now by inserting in table the vents and use destroy function when changing scenes. 

How can I use the same vent and emit particles in multiple coordinates…?

Just set the vent’s emitX and emitY properties to reposition the vent, then :start() it. If you need multiple of the same effect, a technique which has worked for me is to create two vents and use them in a round-robin fashion. You can expand this concept for three vents, four, etc., depending on how many effects you need at the same time.

• Caleb

Are you making sure to :destroy() the vent at some point?

• Caleb

No… I was thinking does vent remove itself when completed. Is there onComplete param for this?

I tried the onEmitEnd param to destroy the vent when completed… sadly I don’t know how to destroy vent with it :smiley:

A vent acts as a sort of particle bank. Each time you call :start(), it emits a certain number of particles for a certain amount of time. This means you have to destroy them at some point just as with most display objects:

vent:destroy()

You should destroy the vent before changing scenes.

• Caleb

How can I use the same vent and emit particles in multiple coordinates…? My deathAnim function now makes everytime a new vent. In this approach I need to use array for the vents to destroy them in loop before scene changes…

I might have understood the vent wrong, got it working now by inserting in table the vents and use destroy function when changing scenes. 

How can I use the same vent and emit particles in multiple coordinates…?

Just set the vent’s emitX and emitY properties to reposition the vent, then :start() it. If you need multiple of the same effect, a technique which has worked for me is to create two vents and use them in a round-robin fashion. You can expand this concept for three vents, four, etc., depending on how many effects you need at the same time.

• Caleb