Checking Up (Again)

Hello.

Wow.

Okay then.

Guess who it is.

(Honestly a lot of the people here probably have no idea now because I’ve been away for so long.)

I’m here. I’m alive. I’m pretty okay, I suppose. Truth is, the past year and a half has been truly horrific; some of you might have seen the post that I made and deleted shortly after explaining this fact. I’ve been going through a lot of personal psychological issues and relationship trouble and such, and I’ve been unable to put time for public development and support of Dusk into my life. That said, Dusk is still living, and, honestly, it’s stable and feature-complete as-is. It should continue working for some time.

I’m still actively coding on Dusk for my personal projects. Unfortunately, I’m unable to commit the time necessary to provide support and updates as I have in the past. I don’t know what the future holds. I’ve reached out to Corona to see about their taking over Dusk for me and integrating it as an officially-supported plugin, because I believe an official backing behind it would provide the stable support and development needed by the community. I’m proud of what I’ve made, and I don’t want it to die; unfortunately, I can’t juggle a Corona community presence with the rest of my life. I will let you guys know how things are going for Dusk and its continued development.

Or hey, if you’re interested in perhaps picking up Dusk, becoming part of a community development team, or something like that, PM me. If enough people respond, I’ll gauge interest and skill necessary, and I might end up making the current Dusk completely open on GitHub and handing development over to you guys. I’m just interested in the good of the community, because I think Dusk is too important and necessary to let it die with my regular forum presence.

You guys are great. Sorry that I’ve been unable to keep up support and development as I would have liked to. Thing is, I’m not being paid for the work I’ve done on it or any of my other libraries and I never have been. Dusk has been a gift to you guys: a gift I gave willingly, but hey, it’s still a gift and it doesn’t get precedence over, you know, my health and sanity. Thank you so much for understanding (if you do understand; I dunno, maybe thanking you right now is a little premature—eh, who cares).

• Caleb

Caleb,

I have not had the pleasure of using the Dusk Engine, but from what I have seen and heard it is clearly a great asset to the Corona community.  You should be proud of the work you have done on that.  I hope to someday get to use Dusk for an app.(one of many I hope to do).

But, mostly I wanted to say, I hope your health and situations improve. Hang in there and above all take care of yourself first!

Bob

@Caleb,

Welcome back.  I hope you find a solution to get Dusk managed by someone or the community at large.  

In any case, I still think it is awesome and useful for those who can spend some time learning it.

Besides Dusk, are you making any games or other fun stuff?  I hope so, but I also understand life, school, et al can stand in the way.

Again, good to hear back from you here in the forums.

Take Care,

Ed

I’m currently working on two games. One is a psychological steampunk RPG set about waiting, breaking things (like mirrors and expectations), magic, jewelry, love, philosophy, dancing, suicide, truth, and other related things. The other is an action-adventure RPG about true love in the platonic sense and the Nietzsche quote from Beyond Good and Evil often translated as “If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.”

But yeah, I think both are gonna be great. I’m focusing more on the first than the second right now and it’s coming along, albeit slowly. When it starts to become playable I’ll probably start to share progress and news and such on it.

• Caleb

Caleb,

I have not had the pleasure of using the Dusk Engine, but from what I have seen and heard it is clearly a great asset to the Corona community.  You should be proud of the work you have done on that.  I hope to someday get to use Dusk for an app.(one of many I hope to do).

But, mostly I wanted to say, I hope your health and situations improve. Hang in there and above all take care of yourself first!

Bob

@Caleb,

Welcome back.  I hope you find a solution to get Dusk managed by someone or the community at large.  

In any case, I still think it is awesome and useful for those who can spend some time learning it.

Besides Dusk, are you making any games or other fun stuff?  I hope so, but I also understand life, school, et al can stand in the way.

Again, good to hear back from you here in the forums.

Take Care,

Ed

I’m currently working on two games. One is a psychological steampunk RPG set about waiting, breaking things (like mirrors and expectations), magic, jewelry, love, philosophy, dancing, suicide, truth, and other related things. The other is an action-adventure RPG about true love in the platonic sense and the Nietzsche quote from Beyond Good and Evil often translated as “If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.”

But yeah, I think both are gonna be great. I’m focusing more on the first than the second right now and it’s coming along, albeit slowly. When it starts to become playable I’ll probably start to share progress and news and such on it.

• Caleb