Comment / Uncomment code in Outlaw?

Maybe I’m just plain ignorant here, but is there no easy way to comment  or uncomment a selection of code using Outlaw / CPM?

Also, why can’t I triple click to hight an entire line of code in Outlaw?

To comment/uncomment, select the desired lines and hit Command hypen/dash/minus – whatever you want to call it. :slight_smile:

It won’t uncomment things that use the block comment --[[]] but if your lines are commented using – it will also uncomment those.

You can’t triple-click a line because the dev environment I use to create Outlaw doesn’t support that. Yes, it annoys me, too.

Jay

Thanks for the feedback on how to comment/uncomment.  Where is this documented?  I ask, because I’ve not seen it anyplace and am wondering what else I might be missing?

Also, not sure I follow your comment about the dev environment and triple clicking. I’ve used Real Studio (I’ve known the Geoff for years) and it certainly allows it in their dev environment…

Sorry, I should have been more explicit – the code editor control I’m using doesn’t support it. And my dev environment (Xojo, now) has just two code editor controls available, only one of which supports autocomplete. And that one doesn’t include support for triple-clicks.

Could I add it? Certainly, but it would mean digging into the internals of the editor and while I’ve had to do that to add certain features, it’s never been fun and it’s a high-stress endeavor. Because honestly, I don’t know exactly what it’s doing deep down inside and touching one thing could have a (negative) domino effect.

The last few months I’ve gone over and over the pros and cons of moving away from Xojo to something like Qt which has a professional-grade code editor control available. But I’d not only have to learn C++, but the entire Qt framework and rewrite 100% of Outlaw from scratch. It would require a few months of focus and I’m not sure I can take the financial hit.

Using the Xojo IDE (that was written in itself) I can see that what I want to do can be done (because the Xojo IDE is written in itself), but they have a team of engineers and I have me. Part-time. :) 

As to where stuff like the keypresses are documented, I’m embarrassed to say that a lot of them aren’t – except maybe in the release notes of the version where the feature was added.

I am trying to change that and recently started a wiki to see if maybe that will be something that will grow into a great resource: http://outlawgametools.com/wiki/index.php?title=Outlaw_IDE

Jay

To comment/uncomment, select the desired lines and hit Command hypen/dash/minus – whatever you want to call it. :slight_smile:

It won’t uncomment things that use the block comment --[[]] but if your lines are commented using – it will also uncomment those.

You can’t triple-click a line because the dev environment I use to create Outlaw doesn’t support that. Yes, it annoys me, too.

Jay

Thanks for the feedback on how to comment/uncomment.  Where is this documented?  I ask, because I’ve not seen it anyplace and am wondering what else I might be missing?

Also, not sure I follow your comment about the dev environment and triple clicking. I’ve used Real Studio (I’ve known the Geoff for years) and it certainly allows it in their dev environment…

Sorry, I should have been more explicit – the code editor control I’m using doesn’t support it. And my dev environment (Xojo, now) has just two code editor controls available, only one of which supports autocomplete. And that one doesn’t include support for triple-clicks.

Could I add it? Certainly, but it would mean digging into the internals of the editor and while I’ve had to do that to add certain features, it’s never been fun and it’s a high-stress endeavor. Because honestly, I don’t know exactly what it’s doing deep down inside and touching one thing could have a (negative) domino effect.

The last few months I’ve gone over and over the pros and cons of moving away from Xojo to something like Qt which has a professional-grade code editor control available. But I’d not only have to learn C++, but the entire Qt framework and rewrite 100% of Outlaw from scratch. It would require a few months of focus and I’m not sure I can take the financial hit.

Using the Xojo IDE (that was written in itself) I can see that what I want to do can be done (because the Xojo IDE is written in itself), but they have a team of engineers and I have me. Part-time. :) 

As to where stuff like the keypresses are documented, I’m embarrassed to say that a lot of them aren’t – except maybe in the release notes of the version where the feature was added.

I am trying to change that and recently started a wiki to see if maybe that will be something that will grow into a great resource: http://outlawgametools.com/wiki/index.php?title=Outlaw_IDE

Jay