Communication from LUA to iOS (ObjC or Swift) - Array Format

Hello,

I have a question regarding the method communication from Lua to Swift.

I know that Lua has a special way to handle arrays & associative arrays as the same kind of objects.

Here is the situation:

1. Let’s say I fill an array with the players ids.

local playersIds = {} table.insert(playersIds, ‘Player A’) table.insert(playersIds, ‘Player B’)

2. Then I send this array to the app.

local event = { name=‘coronaView’, event=‘PlayersIdsUpdated’, playersIds=playersIds } Runtime:dispatchEvent(event)

3. I would expect to receive a NSArray/Array in the app. Instead, I’m receiving a Dictionary<Int,String>.

The thing is that I want to convert this list to JSON, and send it somewhere.

But the JSONSerialization class on iOS doesn’t handle Dictionary<Int** ,String **> values. The conversion just fails.

I know, there are a lot of solutions here, and it’s not a real problem.

As I’m just starting Lua & Corona, I was just wondering if there is a way to get directly a NSArray from Corona, without implementing something specific in Swift.

Thank you!

PS: The JSON package knows how to differentiate dictionaries and arrays at the encoding (https://docs.coronalabs.com/api/library/json/encode.html).

Well, I ended up doing a little work in Swift…

func cleanupLua(\_ object: Any) -\> Any { if let dico = object as? [Int:Any] { return dico.values.map { cleanupLua($0) } } else if let dico = object as? [String:Any] { return dico.mapValues { cleanupLua($0) } } else if let array = object as? [Any] { return array.map { cleanupLua($0) } } else { return object } }

Hi.

table.insert(playersIds, ‘something’) or playersIds[#playersIds + 1] = ‘something’ will both populate your array starting at index 1, rather than 0. Might this be throwing off some sort of array-vs.-dictionary detection?

Well, I ended up doing a little work in Swift…

func cleanupLua(\_ object: Any) -\> Any { if let dico = object as? [Int:Any] { return dico.values.map { cleanupLua($0) } } else if let dico = object as? [String:Any] { return dico.mapValues { cleanupLua($0) } } else if let array = object as? [Any] { return array.map { cleanupLua($0) } } else { return object } }

Hi.

table.insert(playersIds, ‘something’) or playersIds[#playersIds + 1] = ‘something’ will both populate your array starting at index 1, rather than 0. Might this be throwing off some sort of array-vs.-dictionary detection?