Comparing Game engines, question about Corona...

I’ve been comparing game development engines and I need advise from you guys.
I went through the getting started guide and love it so far. My concern, is that I don’t want to get to far invested in a game engine and then its not what i wanted.

I’m developing on a Windows PC, but want to make an IOS game.
I’m looking for a game dev engine that I can export to xcode or how ever you do it, then my plan is to take the export and rent a mac online just for publishing it.
Is this possible with Corona? if not is there other game dev engines that will do this?

Also followup question, i saw the last build of Corona was from 2018, and the latest note from the developer, is this project eventually going away? Like i said I dont want to invest my time into something that won’t last. Where maybe Unity would be better.

I’m a web developer, but just jumping into mobile game dev.

Thanks for the help!

J

Corona is being phased out. You are on Solar2D forums after all.

The 2018 build was the “last public build”, but there have been frequent builds constantly since then, they’ve just been listed as “daily builds”. I have no idea as to why the old Corona Labs Inc. team didn’t release new public builds, but that was then.

The future of Solar2D looks bright. The community is much more engaged than before and there are all sorts of interesting things coming up. You should download the latest Solar2D build from https://github.com/coronalabs/corona/releases.

If you are just jumping to game dev, I’d recommend Solar2D over Unity as it is much easier to learn and get stuff done with.

Finally, I know that some have used virtual machines to build for iOS, but I haven’t done that myself.

2 Likes

Jump in. You won’t find a better game engine for 2d development imo. Corona SDK had been rebranded as Solar2D.

https://solar2d.com/ - Check this out -> https://www.solar2dplayground.com/

1 Like

So downloading the latest solar2d build automatically works the current Corona emulator?

So far, I like the flow and coding of solar2d, it seems like the framework to build objects and reference them is pretty straight forward.

My only concern, like I said is when I’m ready to deploy to IOS with no Mac is a little concerning.
For a virtual, I’d have to buy a Mac OS, or use something like https://www.macincloud.com/ where you pay as you go. Not sure how publishing works on a Mac that you remote to.

Thanks for the info so far

@Jak220

Note: It doesn’t matter what engine you go with. Deploying to iOS requires a Mac to do the build.

Question: Why do you want to make games for iOS? Is that the mobile device you have? It is easier for new developers to get into Android dev. The Corona SDK/Solar 2D part of the dev is almost exactly the same, but you have to jump through lots of hoops and learn technical stuff to publish on iOS.

• Buy or rent a mac (perhaps in cloud)
    • You can also run OSX in VMware on Windows. I started dong this when my MBP got too old to run the correct version for OSX for publishing. It works just fine, as long as you have a powerful enough PC with at least 16GB of memory.
  • Install the right version of OS X.
  • Learn to install right version of xCode, etc.
  • Pay for a developer account (there may be a free option, but I’ve been doing this so long I just pay annually).
  • Set up your dev account, sign all the forms, hook up a bank account unless you’re doing all free games.
  • Learn to make build certificates.
  • Learn to upload games to the store and fill in the store page.

To be fair, there is some overlap here for Android, but in the simplest Android case you can build the app using the built-in debug cert and load it on your device directly via USB cable. You don’t even need a GooglePlay account for testing on personal devices. The same can’t be said for iOS. You have to do many of the publishing related steps just to test on a device.

(iOS Experts: If I’m wrong please chime in, but I’ve always found the Apple path more painful.)

Back To Your Question - Tell Us More…
You’ve asked for our help, but haven’t given us a lot of info about what you want out of an engine:

Can you tell us:

• What kind of game(s) you want to make. Give examples of similar games.
  • What programming experience do you have?
  • Have you made games before? Used any other engines or SDKs?
  • Have experience using art tools? Sound tools? etc.
  • Will you need a level editor?

PS - If you’re brand new to game dev (sound like you are), Unity will be a long slog for you. I’m not sayinng you can’t do it, because thousands before you have done it. However, getting started fast and seeing results fast will happen here more easily. Still, prepare yourself. Game making is not easy. Toy making (experiments and prototypes) is pretty easy, but completing a full game is a different store, regardless of the tools you use.

Thanks for the info.
I’ve always heard that iOS deployment has a lot more hoops to jump through than android.
Yes, I was choosing iOS because that’s what I have. Sounds like it would be a good idea to first deploy to android and then later on iOS.

I’m looking to make a 2d game that is Not too complicated but somewhat of a rogue like dungeon game, some inspiration I’m looking at Void Tyrant, Dungeon Faster, etc.

I’m a software developer for 15 years (windows and web development) now but have never created a mobile game yet and wanted to finally give it a shot.

I have a bit experience in sound and art, but not much.

I don’t know much about a level editor, is that a separate application?

I realize this isn’t going to be easy, but am ready for a new challenge on the side.

How long have you been doing game dev?
Do you usually tackle the entire dev by yourself?

@Jak220

Welcome to the game dev world. I’m sure you can do it and I hope you enjoy the journey.

My 2-Cents - Of the two game you suggested, Void Tyrant looks like the (by far) simpler to emulate/clone/use as a motivational starting point. Dungeon Faster (from what I saw in videos) looks quite complex to re-implement.

re: Level Editor - Corona SDK/Solar 2D does not come with a level editor. However, for those two game types you really wouldn’t use one. At least I wouldn’t as it would IMHO make the effort more complicated.

How long have I been doing it? - I’ve been doing game dev since around 96. I’ve done the lone-wolf thing (wearing all the hats myself) and I’ve worked with teams. My primary skill is in the programming and mechanics of game design. I have some ability at art, sound, modelling, etc., but couldn’t really do that for a career. i.e. I’m just not that good at those parts.
( My out of date CV ++ here: https://github.com/roaminggamer/RG_FreeStuff/tree/master/AboutMe)

I suggest, when starting off, that you tackle it on your own and use free or cheap art to make your prototypes. That way you can be entirely in control and avoid the overhead of working with folks. It will let you focus. (Note: If you have local friends also into this; then teams are great; but starting off working remotely may make it harder.)

Be sure to write new posts here when you get stuck or if you need help. I (and I’m sure others) will be glad to help.

Cheers,
Ed (aka RoamingGamer)

PS - I should mention. I no longer have a catalog of games on the stores. I’ve been on a hiatus since late 2018 and did not maintain my games, so most of them are now off line.

If you want to see my work (stuff that might actually be useful to you in your journey), go here: