Composer GUI really look like this new GUI game maker software (from Trey Smith)

Hello guys,

I got an email from They Smith advertising his new game maker product and it really looks like what Composer GUI could be! I quickly checked Composer GUI and it looks promising. Anyway to make it as complete as Buildbox?

Here the link of a video of Buildbox:

http://www.buildboxsoftware.com/physics-game-walkthrough/

Also an article about it on VentureBeat.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/20/buildbox-the-nearly-3k-drag-and-drop-app-game-making-software-launches-to-big-fanfare/

It seems that the soft is $3000. I guess we are getting a big discount with Composer GUI :slight_smile:

Mo

ps: Seriously, could composer GUI be made to the level of BuildBox?

Could it? Sure, but I wouldn’t hold your breath. :slight_smile: I think the CL guys have a “code first” way of thinking, which isn’t bad, it just flavors the things they do.

Jay

Great point Jay. I think that is why Composer GUI could be a great tool, because it combines both GUI and Lua code (at least I believe you can customize the levels with code) Cheers, Mo

At this point I don’t think you can do much in the way of code (if any?) inside Composer. Instead, you lay out the graphics and then in your composer scene code you grab references to those display objects and use them that way.

Would be awesome to be able to put behavior code in the objects right inside of Composer GUI.

Would also be cool if they allowed a scene to be grabbed as a sort of “prefab” to then be used inside your scene, and not just *as* the scene. That ability has the potential to explode Corona. 3rd-parties could create “scenelets” that others could just plop into their games.

local explodeMan = composer.loadScenelet("explosion.ccscenelet") ...later... explodeMan.x = hitLocation.x explodeMan.y = hitLocation.y explodeMan:play()

Or something. :slight_smile:

Jay

Thanks Jay,

I did not realize you could not add to  the code generate by Composer GUI? I guess I need to try it and see for myself before commenting further :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Mo

Could it? Sure, but I wouldn’t hold your breath. :slight_smile: I think the CL guys have a “code first” way of thinking, which isn’t bad, it just flavors the things they do.

Jay

Great point Jay. I think that is why Composer GUI could be a great tool, because it combines both GUI and Lua code (at least I believe you can customize the levels with code) Cheers, Mo

At this point I don’t think you can do much in the way of code (if any?) inside Composer. Instead, you lay out the graphics and then in your composer scene code you grab references to those display objects and use them that way.

Would be awesome to be able to put behavior code in the objects right inside of Composer GUI.

Would also be cool if they allowed a scene to be grabbed as a sort of “prefab” to then be used inside your scene, and not just *as* the scene. That ability has the potential to explode Corona. 3rd-parties could create “scenelets” that others could just plop into their games.

local explodeMan = composer.loadScenelet("explosion.ccscenelet") ...later... explodeMan.x = hitLocation.x explodeMan.y = hitLocation.y explodeMan:play()

Or something. :slight_smile:

Jay

Thanks Jay,

I did not realize you could not add to  the code generate by Composer GUI? I guess I need to try it and see for myself before commenting further :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Mo