That’s a good idea. I’lll suggest it, but it will have more impact if there is a feature request for it at http://feedback.coronalabs.com with all your +1’s
yes the code exchange has needed some attention for a while. there’s a lot of good stuff in there. perhaps a better link location to it also making it easier to find for new users. and since the API has changed a lot recently maybe split it into pre gpx2.0 and gpx2.0 compatible
also, if i visit *any* URL for a tag or group, my RSS reader will show me choices to subscribe to that feed – note that the actual RSS URL is embedded in the HEAD of the HTML page, not available as an icon on the page itself.
+1 for separate feeds for New and Updated contributions.
What happened to all the codes in code exchange? For instance I could found all the great modules from Glitch Games. I kind of miss the old code exchange! The only bad was it was not possible to find stuff. With the new exchange we can now search but most of the old are gone? Am I missing something? Thanks. Mo
I’ve got the RSS reader and it’s working well except for some when I hit some unusual characters. I assume it’s an encoding thing, but I really have no knowledge in that area. It’s reading the characters up from the RSS and putting them in a table, but when I try to output them to the device I just get nothing on screen. If I copy & paste those same characters into my code and output it’s fine, but I’m assuming the cut & paste is somehow resolving things that the xml.rss code isn’t handling.
Just a quick look, there are a bunch of UTF-8 characters which have to be encoded correctly for XML. If you look in the xml.lua file you will see a big if statement where some characters are converted to their ASCII equivs. This is at best a Hack way of handling it. If you’re not in control of the feed and can’t get the fields wrapped in C-DATA tags, then you will have to make the XML processor handle the UTF-8 characters in a safe way.
I’m new to the whole character set issue, so I’m wondering how one would go about fixing this problem? A big lookup table? The fact that I can cut & paste the same characters into my code and display them has me baffled - is this doing some sort of auto-conversion?
I would do some research on how RSS is supposed to handle UTF8 characters. It should only be a problem if the feed isn’t wrapping text in CDATA tags which protect about it. Unfortunately you can’t always control the RSS feed and make sure it’s valid.
What CDATA tags do is hide non XML data from an XML parser. It’s still in the feed. Now if an RSS reader ignores it, that’s on them. It’s still valid data for that field and they should be able to take it and show it. Maybe this article will help:
Hi Satheesh. We ported a few of the popular, graphics 2.0 compatible projects to get things started. The things had to be in github already, etc. We encourage the authors to port over any thing they wish and we are keeping the old code exchange up, so you can still get to the old files.