Corona Editor hangs regularly at Mac and PC while/after debugging.. and other issues

Hai All,

I stopped working with the Corona Editor since it is not mature enough!

It hangs at least several times an hour (always after debugging) after which I have to kill Sublime and the Corona simulator and restart everything again. Very anoying. I am now using Textpad with corona simulator and only use the Corona editor when i need to debug something odd.

Here my findings…

1 Sublime Editor hangs often, especially when Sublime asks to restart the debugger after a saved change

2 Sublime pane-switch is broken after restart after the debugger / simulator hangs the editor 

3 Sublime often opens 2 or 3 times having source code spread over multiple Sublime editors

4 Variable watch while debugging is close to useless since tables-contents are not visible and no sticky watches can be set

5 Sometimes the debugger does not see breakpoints and will not break

Is this only me or is the Corona editor still under-developed?

I really like Corona, but the lack of a good debugger / IDE pushes me towards Xamarin.

Is there any roadmap to extend the editor and make it more mature?

Regards, Marc

I can confirm 1. I recently switched to ZeroBrane Studio which has excelent Corona support and is free http://studio.zerobrane.com/

I had the same thing, it would frequently say the plugin has stopped responding and would need to restart Sublime to get it working again.  Had lots of issues using the debugger.

Thought that this was the only IDE with debugging features but I was wrong.

I will try ZeroBrane and Glider, they seem the best solutions as far as I can see with debugging capabilities and code-completion.

Thanx for pointing me out!

Regards. Marc

​I have an issue in Corona Editor Sublime 3 where I displayed the debug panels and closed each of the windows inside the three debug panel areas, not when i show/hide the debug panel the three panels area empty. There appears to be no way to refill the panels?

When I try and run an app in sublime/corona editor or Zerobrane the load screen displays but my code does not start.

Back to slow Lua Glider 2.

> When I try and run an app in sublime/corona editor or Zerobrane the load screen displays but my code does not start.

@FearTec, do you have any more details on this? This clearly shouldn’t happen. Are you trying to run or debug? Do you try with or without “require(‘mobdebug’).start()”? Does it work with the corona application that is included with ZeroBrane Studio (myprograms/corona-samples/live-coding-simple)?

There may be an issue connecting to the debugger; I’ve documented several reasons in the FAQ: http://studio.zerobrane.com/doc-faq.html#why_am_i_getting_could_not_connect_to_8172_message (the first one doesn’t apply to you if you start the application from ZeroBrane Studio). Please let me know if you find the reason and I update the documentation. Thanks. Paul.

Use LUA Glider, works almost flawless and the NetBeans editor is sublime!

Glider really speeds things up and at least 50% more productive than sublime.

Downside: No context help (AFAIK)

Regards, Marc

I can confirm 1. I recently switched to ZeroBrane Studio which has excelent Corona support and is free http://studio.zerobrane.com/

I had the same thing, it would frequently say the plugin has stopped responding and would need to restart Sublime to get it working again.  Had lots of issues using the debugger.

Thought that this was the only IDE with debugging features but I was wrong.

I will try ZeroBrane and Glider, they seem the best solutions as far as I can see with debugging capabilities and code-completion.

Thanx for pointing me out!

Regards. Marc

​I have an issue in Corona Editor Sublime 3 where I displayed the debug panels and closed each of the windows inside the three debug panel areas, not when i show/hide the debug panel the three panels area empty. There appears to be no way to refill the panels?

When I try and run an app in sublime/corona editor or Zerobrane the load screen displays but my code does not start.

Back to slow Lua Glider 2.

> When I try and run an app in sublime/corona editor or Zerobrane the load screen displays but my code does not start.

@FearTec, do you have any more details on this? This clearly shouldn’t happen. Are you trying to run or debug? Do you try with or without “require(‘mobdebug’).start()”? Does it work with the corona application that is included with ZeroBrane Studio (myprograms/corona-samples/live-coding-simple)?

There may be an issue connecting to the debugger; I’ve documented several reasons in the FAQ: http://studio.zerobrane.com/doc-faq.html#why_am_i_getting_could_not_connect_to_8172_message (the first one doesn’t apply to you if you start the application from ZeroBrane Studio). Please let me know if you find the reason and I update the documentation. Thanks. Paul.

Use LUA Glider, works almost flawless and the NetBeans editor is sublime!

Glider really speeds things up and at least 50% more productive than sublime.

Downside: No context help (AFAIK)

Regards, Marc