Corona Geek #157 - Monsters Need Coins + Select Next Week's Topic

Hello again guys and Gals today we had an awesome talk with with Simon and Rob over at Laser Dog Games about their upcoming game HoPiKo.

After that, I was supposed to continue our exploration of the ‘They Need To Be Fed’ mechanics.  ( Note: We are calling our version ‘Monsters Need Coins’ )

However, the talk with took the entire show (and I was happy to hear and participate). You should definitely watch this and take some notes. I know I did.

So, we have deferred my part of the talk to hangout 158.  

However, as I had the content ready to go, I’m releasing a video of this week’s updates:

Monsters Need Coins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yFGry7Hpyc&feature=youtu.be

You can get all the code for the game here:

http://github.com/roaminggamer/CoronaGeek/raw/master/Hangouts/ICanMakeThat/TheyNeedToBeFed.zip

Next Week?

Next week, I am going to talk about builders, but I want your input.  

If you want, I can focus on the new path following platform builders… OR… I can add turrets and we can focus on those.  

You tell me.  Simply respond below with your preference and I’ll tally them up.

Thanks!

Ed M

** WARNING: When I posted this, the code had not finished uploading.  So, if you downloaded the game and it looked wrong, got get a another copy.

Thank you, Ed. It was a shame we didn’t get to the code portion of our discussion today, but I think we all enjoyed the nuggets of wisdom from Rob and Simon at Laser Dog. Personally, I’m looking forward to next week’s Hangout so we can look at the details behind the code. This is a strong example project with lots of excellent pieces.

I just wanted to quickly say thank you to Ed for the sheer amount of work that must be going into all these game making tutorials.  As someone who is pretty new to Corona they have massively helped me to organise my thinking around how to put a project together.  I recently found myself stranded from my computer for a week, but able to watch youtube videos, and I have been hoovering up this series and the zig zag boom series. Great work guys!

@epicurus101,

Thanks for the complement.  

I just want to say, I couldn’t do this without Charles who does a ton of work keeping the show running, editing, posting, … and so much more.  Also, I couldn’t do it w/o Corona and the staff who work so hard to keep it going.

Finally, I wouldn’t do it if folks like you didn’t tune in and give feedback.  So, thank you.

Cheers,

Ed

** WARNING: When I posted this, the code had not finished uploading.  So, if you downloaded the game and it looked wrong, got get a another copy.

Thank you, Ed. It was a shame we didn’t get to the code portion of our discussion today, but I think we all enjoyed the nuggets of wisdom from Rob and Simon at Laser Dog. Personally, I’m looking forward to next week’s Hangout so we can look at the details behind the code. This is a strong example project with lots of excellent pieces.

I just wanted to quickly say thank you to Ed for the sheer amount of work that must be going into all these game making tutorials.  As someone who is pretty new to Corona they have massively helped me to organise my thinking around how to put a project together.  I recently found myself stranded from my computer for a week, but able to watch youtube videos, and I have been hoovering up this series and the zig zag boom series. Great work guys!

@epicurus101,

Thanks for the complement.  

I just want to say, I couldn’t do this without Charles who does a ton of work keeping the show running, editing, posting, … and so much more.  Also, I couldn’t do it w/o Corona and the staff who work so hard to keep it going.

Finally, I wouldn’t do it if folks like you didn’t tune in and give feedback.  So, thank you.

Cheers,

Ed