Corona Portable

Why isn’t there a portable version of corona or at least able to install on a non local hard drive, how would this be achieved?

Thanks

Can you elaborate a little?  Which operating system are we talking about?  What have you tried and what didn’t work?

I am assuming Windows.  I could use a portable version as well (due to not having admin rights on a laptop I use)…

This would be pretty cool. Just a Corona sim on a thumb drive ( USB drive, flash drive ) whatever you want to call it. It would be nice to be able to just bring lets say a small windows tablet and code and see whats happening when on the move like on an airplane where you cant bring your PC. Maybe you wont be able to build because of the JDK that is big in size for a small tablet but who knows!

The best we can offer is that you can install Corona on a machine that you do have admin rights to and then copy its directory tree to your thumb drive.  The Corona Simulator does not require any external dependencies except for the JDK for Android builds and an up-to-date video driver supporting OpenGL 2.1 (simply installing the video driver for the video card will be enough).

Just be aware that:

• Corona will cache files to the local machine under your user’s AppData directory.

• Corona will write to the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

• There is still a Corona login process that authorizes the machine you are on.

• 3rd party tools such as the Sublime “Corona Editor” plugin will fail to find the simulator since it’s not installed.

Can you elaborate a little?  Which operating system are we talking about?  What have you tried and what didn’t work?

I am assuming Windows.  I could use a portable version as well (due to not having admin rights on a laptop I use)…

This would be pretty cool. Just a Corona sim on a thumb drive ( USB drive, flash drive ) whatever you want to call it. It would be nice to be able to just bring lets say a small windows tablet and code and see whats happening when on the move like on an airplane where you cant bring your PC. Maybe you wont be able to build because of the JDK that is big in size for a small tablet but who knows!

The best we can offer is that you can install Corona on a machine that you do have admin rights to and then copy its directory tree to your thumb drive.  The Corona Simulator does not require any external dependencies except for the JDK for Android builds and an up-to-date video driver supporting OpenGL 2.1 (simply installing the video driver for the video card will be enough).

Just be aware that:

• Corona will cache files to the local machine under your user’s AppData directory.

• Corona will write to the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

• There is still a Corona login process that authorizes the machine you are on.

• 3rd party tools such as the Sublime “Corona Editor” plugin will fail to find the simulator since it’s not installed.