CoronaBlitz #2 - CATARRGH!

Hi everyone,

Well here’s my entry for CoronaBlitz #2: CATARRGH!

I’d like to say it took only 4 hours, but in reality probably took double that time. Being fairly new to Corona I spent a lot of time looking at other code out there to learn the best way to achieve what I was after. I tried not to waste too much time fiddling around with assets and grabbed them from a couple of free sites.

This is the background to the game:

You are a robo cat and you’ve just broken out from the Feline Uber Research Bunker Augmenting Large Lunch Yearnings, or F.U.R.B.A.L.L.Y.

The lab wants to stop you at all costs and sends out one of its bots to throw irrestistable foods into your path as you run down a disused tunnel.

Each time robo cat eats a piece of food he’ll grow fatter and slower, eventually getting too big for the tunnel and impaled on the inconveniently placed spikes.

Luckily, eating food also charges up cat’s Food Boost. Once it reaches 100% you can tap on cat to energize a high-speed spurt of speed, burning off those extra calories and returning cat to normal size. Alternatively, tap on the bot to fire a fiery projectile.

How far can you get before meeting a slow and blobby death?

Here’s a video of me playing the game on the Corona simulator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0c75dJ0B_Y

You can find the code and assets here:

https://github.com/garycrook/coronablitz/tree/master/CATARRGH!

Clearly it’s not yet a balanced game gameplay-wise and I’d welcome any comments or suggestions for enhancing it. You never know, I might develop it into a full prototype.

I don’t think you do anything special but your Youtube link is weird though, seems to be an edit link and takes me to my youtube uploads.

Thanks - it was user error :confused: I fixed it

Sweet!

One idea is that you could tap the screen to chomp, and then give the food various properties that would make it desirable or not desirable, based on the objectives of the game. So you might eat some foods and avoid others, and the player could develop skill in getting the timing just right as the foods they want to chomp whiz past…

That video capture looks really good. What program did you use?

It was created just using QuickTime Player on my Mac. Use File > New Screen Recording to capture either the whole screen or a custom region as a .mov file. Youtube can upload and process it. To capture the Mac’s internal sound as part of the movie I used a program called Soundflower (https://code.google.com/p/soundflower/)

Hope that helps!

Yeah, that’s my exact setup as well. Maybe it’s an issue with preferences or processor speed or something.

Very cool!  Where did you get the music?

Thanks! The music and sound fx all come from opengameart.org

I have a soft spot for cat games :)  Well Done!

meow!  :smiley:

They need a thumb or a like feature.  This would’ve totally gotten a thumb from me!

I don’t think you do anything special but your Youtube link is weird though, seems to be an edit link and takes me to my youtube uploads.

Thanks - it was user error :confused: I fixed it

Sweet!

One idea is that you could tap the screen to chomp, and then give the food various properties that would make it desirable or not desirable, based on the objectives of the game. So you might eat some foods and avoid others, and the player could develop skill in getting the timing just right as the foods they want to chomp whiz past…

It was created just using QuickTime Player on my Mac. Use File > New Screen Recording to capture either the whole screen or a custom region as a .mov file. Youtube can upload and process it. To capture the Mac’s internal sound as part of the movie I used a program called Soundflower (https://code.google.com/p/soundflower/)

Hope that helps!

Yeah, that’s my exact setup as well. Maybe it’s an issue with preferences or processor speed or something.

Very cool!  Where did you get the music?

Thanks! The music and sound fx all come from opengameart.org

I have a soft spot for cat games :)  Well Done!

meow!  :smiley: