CoronaCards for WP8 app can run in the windows mobile 10?

if i use CoronaCards for WP8 to build windows phone 8 app

then 

user buy new cell phone for windows mobile 10,my app can run in the windows mobile 10 or not?

The Internet has some conflicting information on it. Some sites say Yes. Others say “If they are universal apps”.

I don’t believe we are producing Universal apps but Silverlight based apps.

Rob

I would be interested in this as well. Rob, could you maybe ask the Devs or does someone else have tested this? Unfortunately I do not own Windows phones, otherwise I would do it myself.

Yes, WP8 CoronaCards built apps do run on Windows 10 Mobile.

WP8 CoronaCards uses Microsoft’s Windows Phone 8 Silverlight technology.  Please see the following info…

https://docs.coronalabs.com/daily/coronacards/wp8/index.html

Microsoft’s Windows 10 Mobile operating system is backward compatible with Silverlight apps targeting 8.0 and 8.1.

Corona’s Visual Studio project template targets Windows Phone 8.0.  Which means it supports 8.0 and newer operating system versions.

(In Visual Studio, you target the oldest OS version you want to support, not the newest like you do in Xcode or the Android SDK.)

Awesome, thanks Joshua! This is exactly the answer I was looking for :wink: May I suggest adjusting the documentation accordingly? I am quite certain more people will have this question.

Our documentation is techically correct.  Notice that Windows 10 Mobile is listed as supported under “System Requirements”.

Just note that CoronaCards uses Microsoft’s Windows Phone 8 “Silverlight” technology.  Silverlight can only target Windows Phone 8.0 and 8.1.  It cannot target Windows 10 Mobile (only universal apps can target Windows 10).  However, Silverlight apps *can* run on the Windows 10 Mobile operating system.  This is by Microsoft’s design.  Hopefully that’s not confusing, but it matches Microsoft’s terminology.

I guess another way of putting it is if our documentation stated it as “CoronaCards for Windows 10 Mobile”, then that would suggest it’s based on Microsoft’s universal app technology, which it is not.  The 2 technologies are very different and are technically 2 different platforms based on different frameworks.  They even create 2 different app bundles, where Silverlight apps are *.xap files and universal apps are *.appx files.

Anyways, I hope the above helps make sense of it.

Gotcha. Thanks Joshua!

The Internet has some conflicting information on it. Some sites say Yes. Others say “If they are universal apps”.

I don’t believe we are producing Universal apps but Silverlight based apps.

Rob

I would be interested in this as well. Rob, could you maybe ask the Devs or does someone else have tested this? Unfortunately I do not own Windows phones, otherwise I would do it myself.

Yes, WP8 CoronaCards built apps do run on Windows 10 Mobile.

WP8 CoronaCards uses Microsoft’s Windows Phone 8 Silverlight technology.  Please see the following info…

Microsoft’s Windows 10 Mobile operating system is backward compatible with Silverlight apps targeting 8.0 and 8.1.

Corona’s Visual Studio project template targets Windows Phone 8.0.  Which means it supports 8.0 and newer operating system versions.

(In Visual Studio, you target the oldest OS version you want to support, not the newest like you do in Xcode or the Android SDK.)

Awesome, thanks Joshua! This is exactly the answer I was looking for :wink: May I suggest adjusting the documentation accordingly? I am quite certain more people will have this question.

Our documentation is techically correct.  Notice that Windows 10 Mobile is listed as supported under “System Requirements”.

Just note that CoronaCards uses Microsoft’s Windows Phone 8 “Silverlight” technology.  Silverlight can only target Windows Phone 8.0 and 8.1.  It cannot target Windows 10 Mobile (only universal apps can target Windows 10).  However, Silverlight apps *can* run on the Windows 10 Mobile operating system.  This is by Microsoft’s design.  Hopefully that’s not confusing, but it matches Microsoft’s terminology.

I guess another way of putting it is if our documentation stated it as “CoronaCards for Windows 10 Mobile”, then that would suggest it’s based on Microsoft’s universal app technology, which it is not.  The 2 technologies are very different and are technically 2 different platforms based on different frameworks.  They even create 2 different app bundles, where Silverlight apps are *.xap files and universal apps are *.appx files.

Anyways, I hope the above helps make sense of it.

Gotcha. Thanks Joshua!