Current state of HTML5 support

I understand that support for HTML5 still is experimental.

That said, I’d like to know:

• how good are the generated code at the moment? Does it breaks all the time?

• what’s the percentage of Lua API has been mapped to Javascript up to now?

• is there any ideia of when will it became stable for production like Android and iOS targets?

Thank you guys.

HTML5 is actually pretty complete and reasonably stable. I haven’t heard a lot of issues with things not working. One thing that’s not ported in the Lua socket library, and this is by choice. It was bloating the app too much. There may be some native.* items that haven’t been made to work with HTML. Some things like native.newMapView() just doesn’t make sense for HTML5 for instance. You can easily call JavaScript to bring up a Google Map. Most plugins are designed from mobile SDK’s. They were never ported to Windows/macOS in the first place and it makes no sense to port them to HTML5. 

For the last question that’s tricky. Right now Google and Apple are keeping our hand quite busy. We have to deal with Facebook soon and every changing ad plugins. I don’t believe we will be working on HTML5 in the near future, unless a really bad bug rears it’s head. Our interface with JavaScript is really good, so it’s really extendable.

Rob

Hi Rob, 

any plan to do a round of optimizations/speed ups?
I’ve been testing HTML5 recently and I’ve found that with scrolling backgrounds, it doesn’t run super smooth.

I’ve tried for example with both the Endless Sk8boarder and 1-800-monsters from Ponywolf

https://ponywolf.itch.io/1-800-monsters

As for the rest I think it works really great and should be out of beta! 

Thanks.

I don’t believe we have any HTML5 work scheduled at this time. Our next focus is changes to the iOS build system to bring it into a modern platform.