Deep linking - Implementation Strategies and Approaches in Corona SDK

I’m reading up on Deep Linking trying to educate myself and see how I can implement this capability into my apps. Is there anyone out there who did some work in this area? Would love to get some feedback on what worked, what didn’t work and pitfalls etc… Thank you very much in advance. 

Anybody ? I would be interested as well.

Got no interest so far until you brought the thread back up. Seems like not many care for this yet. Lets see if others notice the thread now and post back. Thanks for your interest. 

Sad that no one showed interested. Deep Linking is something that will became really important.

Ditto! I think we can do somethings with Corona SDK already using launch args etc but I have not had a lot of time to explore further. 

Deep linking is simply responding to a push notification by taking the person directly to a part of your app that the push is referring to.  The simplest example is a news reader app,  like for instance the Business App sample.  It could be setup that if a URL is in the push notification’s custom data packet, the app could open directly to that story page from the RSS feed.  (and No, I don’t plan on programming that in any time soon).  Another example is using a game service.  If the push notification is for your turn, the app could go directly to the play screen for you to take your turn. 

That’s all deep linking really is.  Because everyone’s apps are different and different push providers have different types of data they can send, it’s hard to provide any real guidance on this. 

Rob

Hi Rob.

Although what you said is correct, Deep Linking has became more than answering Push notification. Now it is about the user clicking on a link on his mobile browser and be redirected to a specific part/scene of an app (or to download it and the user does not have the app). 

Here is a good link about the subject: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/05/04/mobile-deep-linking-the-game-changing-technology-y.aspx

Yup. This is exactly what I’m talking about. Thanks!

On iOS, you can setup a URL Scheme for your app where you create a URL Scheme with:

yourapp://

Then after the // you can put any key-value pair in there or JSON string and when your app is launched with that URL Scheme, then you get that data passed in your launch args.  You can then look at the launch args and make a decision about what part of your app you need to go to.

Now for Android, I have to apologize, I’m much more iOS friendly and I’ve not committed all of Josh’s wonderful posts on how to use activities to do a similar thing.  He’s posted what you can do to the forums multiple times.  But the idea is that you pass in whatever data you need and then your app can react to that data.

Rob

Thanks Rob, 

This is great info. I think this topic could make a nice tutorial sometime including a little php sample showing the web side of things etc. Something for one of those days when you are wondering what to write about next. 

Thanks much in advance. Regards,

Kerem

Anybody ? I would be interested as well.

Got no interest so far until you brought the thread back up. Seems like not many care for this yet. Lets see if others notice the thread now and post back. Thanks for your interest. 

Sad that no one showed interested. Deep Linking is something that will became really important.

Ditto! I think we can do somethings with Corona SDK already using launch args etc but I have not had a lot of time to explore further. 

Deep linking is simply responding to a push notification by taking the person directly to a part of your app that the push is referring to.  The simplest example is a news reader app,  like for instance the Business App sample.  It could be setup that if a URL is in the push notification’s custom data packet, the app could open directly to that story page from the RSS feed.  (and No, I don’t plan on programming that in any time soon).  Another example is using a game service.  If the push notification is for your turn, the app could go directly to the play screen for you to take your turn. 

That’s all deep linking really is.  Because everyone’s apps are different and different push providers have different types of data they can send, it’s hard to provide any real guidance on this. 

Rob

Hi Rob.

Although what you said is correct, Deep Linking has became more than answering Push notification. Now it is about the user clicking on a link on his mobile browser and be redirected to a specific part/scene of an app (or to download it and the user does not have the app). 

Here is a good link about the subject: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/05/04/mobile-deep-linking-the-game-changing-technology-y.aspx

Yup. This is exactly what I’m talking about. Thanks!

On iOS, you can setup a URL Scheme for your app where you create a URL Scheme with:

yourapp://

Then after the // you can put any key-value pair in there or JSON string and when your app is launched with that URL Scheme, then you get that data passed in your launch args.  You can then look at the launch args and make a decision about what part of your app you need to go to.

Now for Android, I have to apologize, I’m much more iOS friendly and I’ve not committed all of Josh’s wonderful posts on how to use activities to do a similar thing.  He’s posted what you can do to the forums multiple times.  But the idea is that you pass in whatever data you need and then your app can react to that data.

Rob

Thanks Rob, 

This is great info. I think this topic could make a nice tutorial sometime including a little php sample showing the web side of things etc. Something for one of those days when you are wondering what to write about next. 

Thanks much in advance. Regards,

Kerem