Director not working in new corona versions?

Hi,

I recently updates corona, and ever since then, Director doesn’t work on devices (I get a blank screen on android). No errors. and it works on the emulator.

Happen to anyone?

Thanks!

More info please:

• Corona SDK Version
  • Build Platform (Windows or Mac)
  • Got an example, share the full code or a mockup that also fails in the same way.
  • Not trying to be offensive here, as I know it is popular , but ‘Director’ is quite old and may not be fully compatible with Corona Graphics 2.0 any more (others please weigh in here).  You might consider converting to ‘Composer’.
  • If you do stick with ‘Director’, you might see what happens if you flip on ‘Compatibility Mode’ although it is odd this works for you in the simulator, but not the device.
  • Just to be clear (should have asked at top), you are using this ‘Director’, and you have tried the sames that come with it and they fail too? https://developer.coronalabs.com/code/director-class-10 

PS - There is nothing wrong with an old lib or tool as long as it is supported and/or keeps working.  I don’t personally use Director (except in experiments and for clients), but I know it was very popular once and may still be.

To add on to what Ed said.  Director was a great library, however it’s not been updated in a very long time (in over two years it appears).  It definitely has issues with Graphics 2.0.  It creates several rectangles that assume that 0,0 is the top left of the rectangle, where Graphics 2.0 assumes that’s the center of the graphic.  It also uses setFillColor with color ranges of 0 - 255 instead of 0…1 like Graphics 2.0.  I believe that using the V1 graphicsCompatibility mode addresses all of Director’s non G2.0 compliance issues.

Because I don’t know how long we will retain the V1 support (it becomes Technical Debt that is hard to manage), any new project should be started using the Composer API or someone could take Director and update it to work with Graphics 2.0.  I doesn’t look like it would be that hard to update.   That said:

It’s a 3rd party library, Corona Labs cannot provide support for it.

Rob

The problem wasn’t with director. It was adding the analytics plugin to the build.settings. Yes, my corona version was that old before updating. Don’t know why it didn’t show any error though. Is it supposed to? I think you should consider that - I spent a few hours converting to composer, for nothing.

I know Director is a third party tool and I wasn’t expecting support from the corona staff but I must say, director is much better. It offers more transition options, and if you create images dynamically (i.e. not when creating the scene), nothing bad happens if you forget to add them to the sceneGroup - when you go to a different scene, they won’t stay on top.

More info please:

• Corona SDK Version
  • Build Platform (Windows or Mac)
  • Got an example, share the full code or a mockup that also fails in the same way.
  • Not trying to be offensive here, as I know it is popular , but ‘Director’ is quite old and may not be fully compatible with Corona Graphics 2.0 any more (others please weigh in here).  You might consider converting to ‘Composer’.
  • If you do stick with ‘Director’, you might see what happens if you flip on ‘Compatibility Mode’ although it is odd this works for you in the simulator, but not the device.
  • Just to be clear (should have asked at top), you are using this ‘Director’, and you have tried the sames that come with it and they fail too? https://developer.coronalabs.com/code/director-class-10 

PS - There is nothing wrong with an old lib or tool as long as it is supported and/or keeps working.  I don’t personally use Director (except in experiments and for clients), but I know it was very popular once and may still be.

To add on to what Ed said.  Director was a great library, however it’s not been updated in a very long time (in over two years it appears).  It definitely has issues with Graphics 2.0.  It creates several rectangles that assume that 0,0 is the top left of the rectangle, where Graphics 2.0 assumes that’s the center of the graphic.  It also uses setFillColor with color ranges of 0 - 255 instead of 0…1 like Graphics 2.0.  I believe that using the V1 graphicsCompatibility mode addresses all of Director’s non G2.0 compliance issues.

Because I don’t know how long we will retain the V1 support (it becomes Technical Debt that is hard to manage), any new project should be started using the Composer API or someone could take Director and update it to work with Graphics 2.0.  I doesn’t look like it would be that hard to update.   That said:

It’s a 3rd party library, Corona Labs cannot provide support for it.

Rob

The problem wasn’t with director. It was adding the analytics plugin to the build.settings. Yes, my corona version was that old before updating. Don’t know why it didn’t show any error though. Is it supposed to? I think you should consider that - I spent a few hours converting to composer, for nothing.

I know Director is a third party tool and I wasn’t expecting support from the corona staff but I must say, director is much better. It offers more transition options, and if you create images dynamically (i.e. not when creating the scene), nothing bad happens if you forget to add them to the sceneGroup - when you go to a different scene, they won’t stay on top.