dusk problem with x value

I am using dusk for my tiled map. I have character moving on enterFrame. But after character.x get on 600 value it give this error: attempt to perform arithmetic on field “x” (a nil value)

I dont know where is problem maybe in camera system but i am new to dusk.

You’re trying to manipulate an object that has been removed/deleted.

You need to determine why it is being deleted.

My ’ guess’ is that you’re letting dusk manage the object and dusk has decided it remove it based on it’s position relative to the camera.

Without more information I really can’t know what’s happening here. If you are in fact trying to move a Dusk object around as though it’s a normal object, that’s probably the issue. You’ll need to use an object of your own if you want to move it around or modify it or the like; Dusk will cull objects when they go off the screen. For objects in an object layer, “going offscreen” is defined as when their initial position is offscreen. This allows Dusk to be much more heavily optimized for object layer culling.

I recommend that you use an object of your own if you want to move it around. There are a number of pages in which I talk about the concept of “object types,” a sort of replacing of Dusk’s objects with your own; that might be what you’re looking for. I think I have a fairly in-depth introduction to them I can find if you need it.

• Caleb

yes i find that i need to use an object of my own. And i find some build function: 

local function addObjectType(params)

params.objects = params.objects or {}

local function buildObject(event)

local obj = params.build(event)

event.object.builtObject = obj

obj.mapObject = event.object

params.objects[obj] = obj

end

for layer, index in map:getLayers(“tile”) do

layer.addObjectListener(“type”, params.objectType, “drawn”, buildObject)

layer.addObjectListener(“type”, params.objectType, “erased”, function(event)

params.objects[event.object.builtObject] = nil

params.remove(event.object.builtObject)

end)

end

objectTypes[#objectTypes + 1] = params

end

and the data for that i have like this: 

local objectType = {}

objectType.objectType = “mySpecialObjectType”

objectType.build = function(event)

local object = display.newRect(0, 0, event.object.width, event.object.height)

object.x, object.y = event.object.x, event.object.y

event.object.parent:insert(object)

return object

end

objectType.remove = function(object)

display.remove(object)

end

addObjectType(objectType)

but i dont seems to get it work :smiley: i understand the basic of how it works but i dont understand how to make it works. And i would be greatfull  if you could send me some of the articles

If you want to make a persistent object (say, your player or the like), you should create it yourself and manually insert and position it. If you’re looking for something that can be removed when it goes offscreen, you can use object types. Basically, make the object in Tiled extend as far as you want the object to be able to travel. That way, the object will be removed when it’s offscreen but not as long as it’s visible.

• Caleb

You’re trying to manipulate an object that has been removed/deleted.

You need to determine why it is being deleted.

My ’ guess’ is that you’re letting dusk manage the object and dusk has decided it remove it based on it’s position relative to the camera.

Without more information I really can’t know what’s happening here. If you are in fact trying to move a Dusk object around as though it’s a normal object, that’s probably the issue. You’ll need to use an object of your own if you want to move it around or modify it or the like; Dusk will cull objects when they go off the screen. For objects in an object layer, “going offscreen” is defined as when their initial position is offscreen. This allows Dusk to be much more heavily optimized for object layer culling.

I recommend that you use an object of your own if you want to move it around. There are a number of pages in which I talk about the concept of “object types,” a sort of replacing of Dusk’s objects with your own; that might be what you’re looking for. I think I have a fairly in-depth introduction to them I can find if you need it.

• Caleb

yes i find that i need to use an object of my own. And i find some build function: 

local function addObjectType(params)

params.objects = params.objects or {}

local function buildObject(event)

local obj = params.build(event)

event.object.builtObject = obj

obj.mapObject = event.object

params.objects[obj] = obj

end

for layer, index in map:getLayers(“tile”) do

layer.addObjectListener(“type”, params.objectType, “drawn”, buildObject)

layer.addObjectListener(“type”, params.objectType, “erased”, function(event)

params.objects[event.object.builtObject] = nil

params.remove(event.object.builtObject)

end)

end

objectTypes[#objectTypes + 1] = params

end

and the data for that i have like this: 

local objectType = {}

objectType.objectType = “mySpecialObjectType”

objectType.build = function(event)

local object = display.newRect(0, 0, event.object.width, event.object.height)

object.x, object.y = event.object.x, event.object.y

event.object.parent:insert(object)

return object

end

objectType.remove = function(object)

display.remove(object)

end

addObjectType(objectType)

but i dont seems to get it work :smiley: i understand the basic of how it works but i dont understand how to make it works. And i would be greatfull  if you could send me some of the articles

If you want to make a persistent object (say, your player or the like), you should create it yourself and manually insert and position it. If you’re looking for something that can be removed when it goes offscreen, you can use object types. Basically, make the object in Tiled extend as far as you want the object to be able to travel. That way, the object will be removed when it’s offscreen but not as long as it’s visible.

• Caleb